This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More
Zinus is a mattress company with a US warehouse and China-based manufacturing facilities. The company makes great cost-efficient mattresses and has a pretty diverse model line-up.
Today, I will be reviewing the Zinus Green Tea mattress, which is the brand’s ultimate bestseller on Amazon.
So, is it as good as the ads describe it? Who will benefit the most from purchasing it?
The answers to these questions and other important information about the mattress itself are right below. So, get cozy and read on.
Compressed and rolled in a box
Delivery (Price & Time)
2-8 business days
The first part of my review of the Zinus Green Tea 12-inch mattress is dedicated to its construction. Being 12 inches high, the mattress packs three foam layers. Let’s take a closer look at them:
- 3” green tea infused memory foam. The upper comfort layer has medium firmness and easily adapts to your body curves. The foam is very cradling and can help relieve pressure points. And the soothing green tea infusion effectively masks the annoying foam odor and enhances the antimicrobial properties of the mattress.
- 2” perforated Zinus Comfort foam. This layer helps transition your body weight down to the mattress base and supports the natural curves of your spine. The perforations across the surface contribute to better airflow between the layers and help withdraw your body heat for a cooler sleep.
- 7” high-density Support foam layer. The mattress foundation is made of dense and firm foam that ensures low motion transfer and stability of the entire construction.
Also Read: Top 10 most comfortable mattresses
Now, let’s inspect the cover that wraps all the layers. The Zinus uses polyester jacquard as a cover fabric for all their mattresses. This material has the following features:
- pleasant to the touch;
- pretty durable;
- absorbs moisture without feeling wet.
Also, jacquard is cheap to produce, which matches up with the company’s idea of making cost-efficient mattresses. The Zinus cover is non-removable, so in order to protect the mattress from accidental stains and liquid spills, I suggest you use a mattress protector. You can check out some of the great waterproof options in this guide.
“Note that synthetic fabrics are more prone to generating static electricity, especially during winter months, when the room air is dry. To avoid this, place a humidifier in your bedroom and use sheets made of natural materials.”
Even though firmness is a subjective parameter and its perception may vary from person to person, I want to share my own findings in the next part of this Zinus Green Tea memory foam mattress review.
As usual, I’m referring to the standard firmness scale that most mattress brands use for describing their products. It ranks firmness from 1 (the softest surface to sleep on) to 10 (the hardest surface).
So, here’s what I’ve found about the Zinus:
It feels as 6-6.5 out of 10, which is often considered a universally comfortable level. Thanks to the thick and soft upper layer of memory foam, it contours your body pretty closely and helps maintain natural spine curves no matter which sleeping style you prefer.
I think that the mattress will make a perfect pick for average-weight back and stomach sleepers or heavy side sleepers. But if you are a petite sleeper, you might want to check other models of this brand, as this particular mattress might feel too firm for you.
Now that we know all the basics about the Zinus mattress, let’s see how it will perform in different situations.
And the first scenario I want to mention in my Zinus Green Tea mattress review is sleeping with a partner.
One of the key factors for couples is edge support. Good edge support will ensure that the whole mattress surface will be at your service and you won’t feel like you’re rolling off.
So, what can the Zinus mattress offer you?
Well, as a sleeper of average weight, I felt pretty supported when both sitting and lying closer to the edge. The mattress does compress to some extent but you can still feel safe.
If you’re a large user, though, the Zinus will give in more under your weight. In this case, I suggest you reinforce the edge support with a good bed foundation. For example, you can use a low-profile box spring that will offer sufficient support without making your bed awkwardly high.
“If you don’t share a bed with anyone but tend to sleep closer to the edge, strong edge support is crucial for you as well.”
Another factor to consider for couples is motion transfer. It’s especially important if one of you or you both are sensitive sleepers. Because no one wants to wake up every time their bedmate switches positions, right? So, here’s the deal: All memory foam mattresses typically have good motion isolation, meaning that they effectively absorb movements and won’t allow your partner to disturb you. The Zinus isn’t an exception here. I tested this bed with my wife and she had no complaints about my tossing and turning (I move a lot during sleep). So, if you share a bed with a restless sleeper, the Zinus can be a cost-efficient solution. Another thing tied to motion transfer is the speed of motion response. This parameter shows how quickly the mattress will restore its original shape after you remove the pressure. Mattresses with low motion transfer often feel like quicksand because they absorb the movements to the point when it might become difficult to actually move. That’s when you should look for quicker response. And luckily, that’s what the Zinus can offer thanks to dense foams and an adequate firmness level. Sleeping on this mattress, I had no trouble shifting positions during the night. This might be a plus for individuals with pain. Certain types of pain may limit your mobility to some extent, and you don’t want to make things even worse with a mattress that makes you feel stuck.
How It Feels for Different Type of Sleepers
Now, here comes perhaps the most exciting part of this article. When reviewing the Zinus Green Tea memory foam mattress, I tried to predict its feel for different types of users.
Don’t worry, though.
It’s not like the magic ball type of prediction. All of my conclusions are based on personal experience and experiences of other members of the team.
Here they are:
- Side sleepers. Since the Zinus has a medium-firm feel, it might lack cradling in your hips and shoulders, especially if you’re a petite sleeper. I’m an average-weight user who switches between supine and lateral positions, so I felt comfortable enough. But if you’re a solid side sleeper, this mattress may not be the best pick.
- Back and stomach sleepers. Speaking of those who sleep on their back or front, the Zinus might seem like an almost perfect option. Its level of sinkage is sufficient to cradle your spine and maintain it’s natural alignment at the same time. If you sleep on your stomach, though, consider placing a thin pillow under your pelvis — that’s advice from my wife.
- Heavy sleepers. Since heavy sleepers typically need firmer mattresses that can support a larger body weight without sacrificing spine support, the Zinus mattress might be a good pick here. Its medium-firm feel and thoughtfully designed construction will help distribute the body weight evenly around the mattress surface. Also, the medium-firm mattress can offer heavier sleepers just the right amount of cradling regardless of their sleep position.
- Cooling sleep lovers. Heat retention is a typical issue with most memory foam beds, but the Zinus mattress is an exception. First, the green tea memory foam has an open-cell structure, as any infused foam, which means that it traps less heat. Along with that, the medium-firm feel of the mattress doesn’t allow your body to sink too deep, thus ensuring a cooler shut-eye.
- Upper and lower back pain sufferers. Like most memory foam mattresses, the Zinus adapts to your body shape precisely and helps maintain the natural spine alignment. So, if you’re suffering from lower back pain, the mattress can adapt to your lumbar spine and provide you with the needed relief. Upper back pain sufferers can also expect good support; but if you’re a side sleeper with shoulder pain, the mattress might create too much resistance in your shoulders, thus putting them, along with your upper back, out of alignment.
If you’re looking for a mattress to help you deal with pain, feel free to check out these guides:
Other Important Information
In the final part of my Zinus Green Tea 12-inch mattress review, I will try to cover all the remaining important information about this model. Variety of Thickness Options The Zinus mattress is available in four different thicknesses. Along with the 12-inch model that I’ve tested, you can purchase a 6, 8, and 10-inch option. This makes the Zinus mattress a good fit for any type of bed, including bunk beds. Also, the variety of thicknesses allows you to perfectly pair the mattress with any bed foundation without making the final combo look uncomfortably low or high. Installation Zinus delivers all their mattresses compressed in a box. This solves the transportation problem in case you need to drag the mattress through a narrow staircase. Also, the manufacturer suggests you leave the mattress for 24-72 hours to decompress. This might sound like a very long time to wait, but here’s the deal: Many low-cost mattresses in a box inflate more slowly than their high-end competitors. To speed up the process, you should create air circulation by using the AC/ceiling fan or just opening your windows.
Whew, that was a lot of info, so let’s sum it up.
The Zinus Green Tea mattress offers great value for money. It has basic yet well-made construction, good durability, and a balanced hug that doesn’t make you feel stuck.
Chances are that you’ll like the Zinus bed too if you’re one of the following:
- Back and/or stomach sleeper. The Zinus has a medium-firm feel, which can work for most back and front sleepers of any weight.
- Heavy sleeper. The firmness level and foam density help the Zinus support a large weight better, so it will offer just the right amount of hug for the heavy users.
- Restless sleeper. Good motion absorption of the Zinus will minimize the transfer of motions from one side of the bed to the other. If you sleep with a partner, this will help both of you rest well.
- Allergy sufferer. The Zinus uses plant-derived and hypoallergenic materials for its products. Plus, it has the CertiPur-US certification, which means that the mattress doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals. So if you’re prone to sensitivities, this model may help you sleep peacefully.
So, does the Zinus mattress seem the right model for you? Do you have any questions left about the company or this particular model? Feel free to ask and share your thoughts below!