This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More
Tempurpedic is one of the major mattress brands, and some experts state that it’s literally the best bed you can ever get.
Which might explain its price, actually.
But what if you want something that feels just like the Tempurpedic bed but doesn’t make you spend all of your money?
No problem! There are other options on the market. I’ve made all the dirty work for you and reviewed the best beds that are like Tempurpedic but cheaper, so you can get nearly the same level of comfort and save some bucks. If you’re interested, keep reading!
A Quick Preview
|Check this Mattress on Novosbed.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best Budget Pick
|Check this Mattress on NectarSleep.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best for Motion Absorption
|Check this Mattress on Puffy.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best for Cooler Sleep
Cool Bliss by PlushBeds
|Check this Mattress on PlushBeds.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best Dual-Sided Pick
|Check this Mattress on LaylaSleep.com|
Read more about this mattress
Our List of the Best Tempurpedic Alternatives on the Market
Best Overall — Editor’s Choice - Novosbed
The Novosbed is probably the closest to the Tempurpedic mattress, as it offers you the perfect balance between pressure relief and spine support and doesn’t make you drown in your sweat like foam beds often do. So, please welcome the Novosbed into this review of the best Tempurpedic alternatives!
Now, the Novosbed is an all-foam mattress, but it utilizes open-cell foams in all of its layers. The open-cell structure creates an infinite pathway for the air to escape, that’s why the Novosbed sleeps cooler than other foam mattresses. Plus, it’s encased in a breathable Tencel cover that is hygroscopic and can easily absorb moisture without feeling wet.
The Novosbed also uses high-density foams that create a uniform surface with pretty rigid edges. In fact, its edge support is no worse than that of an average hybrid mattress. So, the Novosbed makes a good choice for couples or those who love to sleep closer to the side.
Finally, even though the mattress comes in three firmness levels — which is already enough to please any user — you can customize the firmness even further by ordering the Comfort+ kit.
To sum up, the Novosbed is a great alternative to the Tempurpedic mattresses. It’s comfortable and comes with its own unique features that make it stand out among the competitors.
- Couples. The Novosbed has low motion transfer and provides decent edge support so that both you and your partner can sleep soundly.
- Hot sleepers. The open-cell foams and the moisture-wicking Tencel cover create a great cooling combo and will turn your sleep into a breeze-like experience.
- Those who are looking for something eco-friendly. The Novosbed is manufactured in a closed-loop process and utilizes renewable materials in order to minimize pollution, so if you’re an eco-enthusiast, this might be a good pick for you.
- may have some off-gassing for the first couple of nights;
- the zipper on the cover doesn’t seem too sturdy.
Best Budget Pick - Nectar
I placed the Nectar in my review of the best beds like Tempurpedic but cheaper because it offers heavenly cradling like the original Tempurpedic mattress. Along with that, it’s the most budget-friendly pick on the list, so it can be a good option for those who are limited by money but don’t want to skimp on comfort.
The most prominent feature of the Nectar is that it cradles your body like a nest. The layers of the mattress can support proper spine alignment in any position and relieve any pressure points for the blissful slumber through the night.
Also, the mattress comes with a thoughtful construction that prevents you from sleeping hot despite the significant amount of cradling. The combination of a breathable pillow-top and the cooling gel memory foam will ensure that your sleep will be cool and breezy.
I’ve tested the mattress with my wife and found that it works great for couples. The all-foam design with soft comfort layers minimizes motion transfer and helps you and your partner sleep without interruptions.
So, if you need a budget-friendly alternative to Tempurpedic, you can definitely count on the Nectar. This mattress is cradling and will make your sleep restorative and comfortable.
- Those on a tight budget. The Nectar can easily save you some bucks while providing a similar comfort level as the original Tempurpedic mattress.
- Individuals with pain. The pain-relieving effects of this mattress are off the charts. The Nectar will hug your body tightly and help relax the deep muscles around your spine, thus bringing you the needed relief.
- Fans of a traditional memory foam feel. If you like the viscous cradling and don’t mind a bit of sinkage, the Nectar is your perfect bed.
- may retain heat;
- subpar edge support.
Best for Motion Absorption - Puffy
The main thing that makes the Puffy a top-rated Tempurpedic alternative is its excellent compatibility with active sleepers. The Puffy can minimize the movement disturbances and ensure that you sleep soundly even if you allow all your pets to jump on your bed when you sleep or if your bedmate is restless.
But that’s not it.
Along with having medium firmness, the Puffy also takes care of the microclimate in your bed. The mattress features proprietary materials that adjust to your body temperature changes, so you can sleep blissfully throughout the year.
Once you lie on the Puffy, the mattress will conform to your body curves and keep the spine in its natural position regardless of the sleeping style you prefer. So, if you have some pain issues, this mattress can be your ally on your way to recovery and relief.
Overall, I was impressed by the qualities of the Puffy mattress. It has a good hug, doesn’t sleep hot, and effectively absorbs all the motions from the other side of the bed, thus ensuring your peaceful sleep.
- Active sleepers and their partners. The Puffy literally swallows all the excess movement and allows both partners to sleep peacefully.
- Individuals with back issues. The amount of cradling from the Puffy may even be better than in Tempurpedic products, and it can relieve your sore muscles and pressure points.
- Combo sleepers. The medium feel of the Puffy can work for any type of sleeper and offer the needed balance between comfort and responsiveness.
- my take some time to fully expand;
- can retain some heat, especially if you're an overweight user.
Best for Cooler Sleep - Cool Bliss by PlushBeds
- gel-infused foam and organic latex layers ensure cool sleep even for chronic hot sleepers;
- medium firmness allows for a good balance between comfort and responsiveness;
- odor-repellent and hypoallergenic Tencel cover.
Moving further down my review of the best beds like Tempurpedic but cheaper, and here’s the Cool Bliss by Plushbeds. If you’re looking for a memory foam mattress that is almost as comfortable as the Tempurpedic but doesn’t make you drown in your own sweat, this mattress is the one to go for!
The construction of the Cool Bliss is designed to combat heat retention. The comfort layer is made of gel-infused memory foam that adapts to your body temperature and withdraws excess heat. Next, there’s a latex layer that reinforces the memory foam effects and adds some responsiveness to it. Finally, there’s a convoluted foam layer right above the base. It ensures better airflow between the layers and eliminates any chances of overheating.
Also, the Cool Bliss is encased into a breathable Tencel cover that wicks away moisture and feels cool to the touch.
Now, the foams used in the mattress are pretty durable and ensure decent edge support as for a memory foam model, so if you love to snooze closer to the edge, you can enjoy the extra edge space this mattress provides.
All things considered, the Cool Bliss mattress literally stands for its name. Similarly to the Tempurpedic mattress, it sleeps cool and maintains the optimal temperature in your bed without sacrificing comfort during sleep.
- Those who typically sleep hot on memory foam beds. The Cool Bliss is made to offer you a cool sleep even if you suffer from chronic hot flares.
- Combination sleepers. The Cool Bliss can adapt to your sleeping preferences and ensure the proper spine alignment in any position you choose.
- Sensitive sleepers. The all-foam construction prevents you from being disturbed by movements coming from your bedmate or a pet if you share a bed with them.
- latex and gel-infused foams may have a slight odor for the first couple of nights;
- may not be a good pick for stomach sleepers.
Best Dual-Sided Pick - Layla
And the last model in my review of the best Tempurpedic alternatives is the Layla. In fact, by purchasing this mattress, you get two beds in one because the Layla is flippable and combines soft and firm sides, and you can make sure that each side is exceptionally comfortable and supportive — such as the original Tempurpedic mattress.
The Layla has a great build. Particularly, it features a layer of copper-infused memory foam on both sides. Copper particles have high thermal conductivity, which means that they will dissipate your body heat quickly. Also, copper is antimicrobial and can inhibit mold and mildew growth for a long time.
Having slept on both sides of the Layla, I found them to be comfortable in their own way. The soft side offers you a good hug and relieves pressure points in any sleeping position. The firm side, in fact, does the same, but it also doesn’t restrict your mobility and allows you to freely move around the mattress surface, which can be a benefit for some.
With that said, sleeping on the Layla mattress will be as comfortable as on the Tempurpedic mattress due to its firmness variety and a sturdy build that is made to last. So, if you’re in the market for a durable Tempurpedic alternative, I can definitely recommend you go for this one.
- Those who haven’t decided on the firmness yet. If you don’t know anything about your firmness preferences, the dual-sided design of the Layla can help you solve the problem by offering two options in one.
- Couples. Both sides of the mattress offer good motion absorption and perfect support for your natural spine curves, so they’re great for partnered sleep.
- Individuals with back or joint pain. Depending on the cause of your pain, you might need different levels of firmness to relieve it, and here’s when the Layla can come in handy.
- the cover is a bit difficult to put on and off;
- may take some time to expand properly.
Reasons Behind Tempurpedic’s Popularity
If you try to count decent Tempurpedic alternatives, you’ll run out of fingers on both of your hands because there are so many of them.
But why do so many manufacturers try to outscore this brand?
The answer is pretty simple: because Tempurpedic has set the high standards of what a good mattress should be.
Here’s how they did it:
- By using high-quality materials. Of course, many mattress brands choose this path today, but Tempurpedic put the quality to a whole new level by utilizing the proprietary materials and carefully combining them for the highest effectiveness.
- By properly addressing most common memory foam issues. Memory foam is the most common material in Tempurpedic beds, but it does have some drawbacks, such as potential odors, heat retention, etc. (1) Tempurpedic managed to solve these issues, so their users get to know only the good side of their beds.
- By listening to customers’ needs. Tempurpedic has a broad line-up, and each user can choose the mattress according to their needs and health issues.
The drawback of all this beauty is obvious:
You won’t find a mattress cheaper than $1,000 in Tempurpedic’s line-up. And that’s just for the basic construction. If you’re willing to get something tailored to your needs, prepare to spend much more.
That’s why so many brands today are inspired by Tempurpedic’s high standards and are trying to offer something similar at a cheaper price.
Browsing Through Tempurpedic’s Alternatives: Things to Keep in Mind
When it comes to choosing a quality Tempurpedic alternative, your comfort is the only thing that matters.
Here are the general recommendations on what to look for in a comfortable mattress.
Even though Tempurpedic is focused on making solely foam mattresses, this doesn’t mean that you cannot find decent alternatives among other mattress types:
- Hybrid. After foam models, these are the closest alternatives in terms of feel. The reason is that most hybrids today use foam for their comfort layers, which means that you can still enjoy all the benefits of this material. However, the base support layers are usually made of coils, which adds more breathability and responsiveness to balance out the foam’s sinking feel.
- Latex. Natural latex is denser and heavier than memory foam but it sleeps cooler because of its open-cell structure. Plus, higher responsiveness makes latex beds a better pick for those who move a lot while sleeping (2). Also, latex is a renewable material and can be 100% organic, so it may work for eco-conscious users. And even though latex models are usually the priciest on the market, they can still be cheaper than Tempurpedic mattresses.
- Innerspring. Innerspring mattresses are the least similar to Tempurpedic beds, but they can make a good pick for heavy users or those who need a uniform surface with minimal sinkage.
Note that no matter which mattress type you choose, it’s always advisable to check the brand’s history on the market and look for reviews from actual users.
Firmness is subjective, but it’s one of the essentials for your comfortable sleep. Here’s how to choose the perfect firmness for you:
- Soft. A soft mattress offers you pronounced sinkage and conforms very closely to your body. It makes a great pick for side sleepers of small body composition.
- Medium. Medium and medium-firm mattresses are the optimal pick for most users without chronic health issues. They offer a balance between firm support and pressure relief and can adjust to any sleeping style. Studies also support the evidence that mattresses with medium and medium-firm feel may be beneficial for people with lower back pain (3), so if this is your case, be sure to give them a try.
- Firm. Firm mattresses have a floating feel and offer little to no sinkage. They can support a larger weight without sagging, so heavier users will feel more comfortable on them. Also, it may be a good pick for stomach sleepers who need to avoid excessive curvature in their lower back.
Today, many major brands can offer you a decent Tempurpedic alternative, so there’s no need to chase the well-known brand.
The main ingredients of a good Tempurpedic alternative are high-quality materials, a good cradling and pressure-relieving effect, solid spinal support, and effective heat removal. Altogether, these qualities will ensure a sound and cool sleep. And the best thing is, there are options that combine all of these with a lower price, so you’ll also get a cheaper alternative.
If I had to pick one favorite model, I’d go with the Novosbed. I love everything about this mattress, from its thoughtful design to the basic specs like edge support and motion transfer. And the ability to customize the firmness is a unique advantage — none of the Tempurpedic beds can offer that, as far as I recall.
And what about you? Which of these five mattresses seems the perfect Tempurpedic alternative to you? Share your thoughts below!
- Amber Merton (n.d.) Top 10 Memory Foam Mattress Complaints. Retrieved from https://www.plushbeds.com/blog/mattress/top-10-memory-foam-mattress-complaints/
- Why are Latex Mattresses So Popular? (n.d.) Retrieved from https://purple.com/mattress-types/latex-mattresses
- Francisco M Kovacs, PhD, Víctor Abraira, PhD, Andrés Peña, MD, José Gerardo Martín-Rodríguez, MD, Manuel Sánchez-Vera, MD, Enrique Ferrer, PhD (2003, November 15). Effect of Firmness of Mattress on Chronic Non-Specific Low-Back Pain. Retrieved from https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2803%2914792-7/fulltext
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted