This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More
Split California King mattresses aren’t the most popular choice among shoppers.
Nonetheless, this mattress size can offer a lot of benefits. It may even become a real salvation for some couples, especially if one of them is a light sleeper.
Now, even though this size isn’t very common on the market, this Split California King mattress review is going to share the best options available. Plus, it will teach readers how to pick the right one – a mattress that could meet all of their (and their partner’s) needs.
A Quick Preview
Best Overall – Editor’s Pick
Refresh Mattress by Natural Form
|Read more about this mattress|
Best Organic Split Cal King Mattress
Botanical Bliss by Plushbeds
|Read more about this mattress|
Best Hybrid Split Cal King Mattress
Brooklyn Signature Hybrid by Brooklyn Bedding
|Read more about this mattress|
Best for Budget Shoppers
Brooklyn Wanderlust by Brooklyn Bedding
|Read more about this mattress|
Best for Heavier Sleepers
|Read more about this mattress|
Split California King Mattress Size Explained
Split California King is not the most popular mattress size, which is why many shoppers confuse it with other similar options.
However, to understand what a Split Cal King is, shoppers simply need to remember that it measures the same as a regular California King – 72 by 84 inches. The only difference is that the split version features two separate mattresses that make one California King.
It’s also worth mentioning that California King is narrower but longer than regular King. That’s why Split California King mattresses work great for taller couples.
You can read more about the best California King-size mattresses here to understand the peculiarities of this size.
Is Split California King Mattress Size Better Than Traditional Cal King?
When browsing through Split California King mattress reviews, some shoppers don’t understand what makes this size so great. And that’s understandable, as there isn’t much of a difference between Split Cal King and regular California King.
Here’s the deal, though:
Split California King mattress size can be a much better solution than a traditional Cal King bed for a specific group of sleepers. They are:
- couples that include a restless and a light sleeper. Because Split California King size is divided into two smaller mattresses, shock from motion won’t travel from one side to the other. This can be a real gift for light sleepers who share their bed with restless partners. A Split Cal King would allow them to remain undisturbed no matter how much movement there’s on the other side of the bed.
- partnered sleepers who have different comfort preferences. Using a Split Cal King allows sleepers to add mattress toppers to their side of the bed and thus, adjust its feel without having to compromise with their partner. Additionally, many mattress companies offer split models with different comfort levels on the two sides. This way, each sleeper can pick something that works for them.
- partners who want to use an adjustable bed frame without disturbing each other. Using a split adjustable base offers multiple benefits, especially for couples who have different preferences. Paired with a Split California King mattress, it would help partnered sleepers remain 100% comfortable while allowing for independent comfort adjustments.
How Much Do Split California King Mattresses Cost?
In most cases, Split California King mattresses cost the same as (or slightly more than) standard Cal King models. For a quality mattress, users typically have to pay around $600-$1,500.
Anything pricier than that would probably come with extra features. They may include adjustable firmness, advanced cooling components, organic materials, etc.
Important Aspects to Consider When Looking for the Best Split California King Mattress
Taking Split California King mattress reviews into consideration is a wise choice. However, aside from following recommendations, shoppers also need to figure out how to choose a good mattress based on their needs.
So, here are the most important factors users may want to consider when shopping:
The most popular mattress material is undoubtedly memory foam. Such mattresses are favored for their tension-relieving properties. The thing is, foam responds to applied pressure and body heat, which allows it to adjust to the sleeper’s body. Therefore, it can hug the protruding parts while supporting the rest of the body. This helps with tension redistribution and enhanced comfort.
However, memory foam is not perfect. This material is known for trapping heat, which often causes users to sleep hot. The best solution, in this scenario, would be opting for gel-infused or open-cell foam.
It’s also worth mentioning that foam mattresses usually have weak edges. And poor edge support means less sleeping space, especially for those users who enjoy lying close to the edge of the bed.
Hybrid mattresses are also becoming quite popular these days. They combine coils with memory foam (sometimes latex) and typically have a very balanced feel. The coils deliver resilient support, and the comfort layers offer the needed cradling for effective pressure alleviation.
That being said, hybrid mattresses might not be everyone’s cup of tea. First of all, they are often tall and thus, difficult to transport. Additionally, this isn’t the cheapest mattress type on the market.
Now, there are also latex mattresses available in Split California King size. This material could be an excellent choice for someone seeking a safe, natural mattress that sleeps cool and delivers proper tension relief.
At the same time, latex mattresses can be very expensive. Here, however, it’s important to remember that latex belongs to the most durable mattress materials. Therefore, even though it could be a big investment, it’s also going to be a long-lasting one.
Innerspring mattresses are the cheapest ones, but there’s a reason for that. While spring beds can offer responsive support, they aren’t that great in terms of pressure alleviation. Therefore, such mattresses might not work for all shoppers, including side sleepers or individuals with tender joints.
Firmness and Sleeping Style
A comfortable Split Cal King mattress has to work with the user’s sleep position. In this case, the firmness level is the most crucial aspect. Here are the general recommendations:
- Back sleepers require a combination of sturdy support and moderate cradling for the buttocks and hips. Therefore, they are advised to sleep on medium to medium-firm mattresses;
- Side sleepers need generous cushioning for the protruding hips and shoulders. That’s why this sleeping style calls for soft mattresses;
- Stomach sleepers require firm support and no sinkage at all. They usually feel the most comfortable sleeping on firm mattresses;
- Combo sleepers need something that would allow for unrestricted movement. In this case, medium-firm mattresses perform quite well.
Weight and Firmness
The weight of the sleeper can affect the firmness level of the mattress. For instance, a model rated Medium by the manufacturer can actually feel too firm for a petite user or too soft for a heavier sleeper.
That’s why lightweight individuals (less than 130 pounds) are advised to stick to slightly softer mattresses for all sleeping styles.
And heavier users (over 230 pounds) need sturdier support and thus, slightly firmer mattresses for all sleep positions.
Other Shopping Considerations When Searching for the Best Split California King Mattress
Here are the additional factors to consider that can help users pick a perfect Split Cal King mattress:
- Cooling. This aspect is a must for chronic hot sleepers, as sleeping hot can ruin even the most comfortable mattress. In most cases, innerspring and latex models perform the best in terms of cooling. Hybrid mattresses may also work for hot sleepers if they don’t use extra-thick and extra-cradling comfort layers. As for memory foam, it doesn’t always sleep hot. Models that employ gel infusion or have an open-cell structure usually have a cooling effect.
- Edge support. Sturdier edges may come in handy for those users who need more sleeping space. Edge support is also important for sleepers with slight mobility issues. The thing is, it’s much easier to get out of bed when the edges can provide support for the arms. Users can push into the edge and give themselves a boost to get up. Now, spring and hybrid mattresses can usually offer the best edge support.
- Cover. For allergy-prone sleepers, a removable cover is a must. The thing is, washing the bedding regularly can reduce the number of potential allergens in the room (1). And since mattress covers tend to accumulate a lot of dust, being able to remove and wash the cover can make anti-allergen cleaning even more effective.
Our Reviews of the 5 Best Split California King Mattresses
Best Overall – Editor’s Pick — Refresh Mattress by Natural Form
- easy firmness adjustments to make sure there’s an ideal setting for every sleeper type;
- natural merino wool for effective temperature regulation all year long;
- replaceable parts to guarantee exceptional durability.
It might be hard to believe that there could be a universally comfortable Split California King mattress. But the Refresh by Natural Form is here to prove: one mattress can work for pretty much any sleeper. The secret is in its adjustable design. The Refresh uses a system of air pods, which sleepers can adjust with a simple dial. That’s something no other Split Cal King mattress on this list can boast of. The Refresh allowed me to find the perfect configuration to achieve balanced support for my back without creating tender pressure points (as I’m a back and side sleeper).
- two comfort options (plus custom firmness orders available) to satisfy a wider range of sleepers;
- 100% natural and safe materials for worry-free sleep;
- after-purchase comfort exchanges to guarantee unparalleled customer satisfaction.
If you hate off-gassing (just like me) and want to sleep on a 100% safe surface, you might want to consider the Botanical Bliss by Plushbeds. This Split California King mattress combines natural latex, organic wool, and quality cotton to create a chemical-free sleep environment suited even for sensitive users. And here’s the best part: natural latex is resistant to bacteria growth. Therefore, the Botanical Bliss will be less likely to accommodate potential allergens. Take it from me, someone who usually wakes up with itchy eyes and an irritated throat if the mattress isn’t 100% clean. Luckily, with the Botanical Bliss, I did not experience any of those symptoms.
Best Hybrid Split Cal King Mattress — Brooklyn Signature Hybrid by Brooklyn Bedding
- extra-sturdy perimeter coils to guarantee proper edge support and extra sleeping space;
- patented TitanFlex foam for effective pressure redistribution without limiting movement;
- three firmness options to make sure the mattress works for a wide range of users.
Another model that deserves to be among the best Split California King mattresses is the Brooklyn Signature Hybrid. This model would be ideal for someone looking for a balanced combination of support and tension relief. The Signature Hybrid uses independent coils that can deliver targeted support for each part of your body. At the same time, the company’s proprietary foams effectively adapt to the shape of the body, aiding proper weight redistribution and thus, pressure alleviation. I was testing this mattress by Brooklyn Bedding after a couple of sleepless nights on another mattress that didn’t make it to this list. Thankfully, the Signature Hybrid helped me relax and fall asleep almost instantly. And owing to its smart construction, I woke up free of tension.
Best for Budget Shoppers — Brooklyn Wanderlust by Brooklyn Bedding
- open-cell foam to aid cooler sleep without sacrificing pressure alleviation;
- 5 firmness variation to make sure there’s a suitable comfort option for every sleeper;
- top gel foam to enhance the cooling properties of the mattress.
A great Split California King mattress does not have to cost you a fortune. And the Brooklyn Wanderlust is the proof of that. This model is affordably priced and shouldn’t put too much stress on your budget. At the same time, the Brooklyn Wanderlust is quality-made and very comfortable. I especially appreciate the fact that it comes in 5 thickness (and thus, firmness) options. Due to that, this model is likely to satisfy almost every sleeper. For instance, I picked the 10-inch model that has a medium-firm feel. It worked for me perfectly, as I often switch from side to back sleeping.
- flippable design to offer improved versatility in use;
- open-cell foam layers to ensure proper air circulation needed for cooler sleep;
- high-density core for improved durability and reliable performance.
Here’s the deal: the Plank could be an excellent solution for heavier partnered sleepers who appreciate sturdy support. This is a truly firm mattress that won’t allow for any unwanted sinkage or back curvatures. I was testing it with my wife lying on top of me, which made our combined weight around 300 pounds. To my great surprise, the Plank kept my body in a relatively straight line. I didn’t sink in, which means my spine was aligned properly. And here’s the best part: the Plank is a flippable model that combines two comfort options in one. Therefore, you and your partner can switch between sides to find the ideal firmness level.
Do two Twin XL mattresses make a Split California King?
No. Two Twin XL mattresses put together make a King that measures 76 by 80 inches. Split California King, however, measures 72 by 84 inches.
What sheets to use with a Split California King mattress?
You can use a flat sheet suited for a regular California King mattress. A fitted sheet may sit too tightly on top of a split mattress. Some companies also offer custom sheets for each individual side of the mattress.
Can I put a Split California King mattress on a Cal King bed frame?
Yes. Split Cal King and regular Cal King are the same size, so your bed frame should work perfectly for a split mattress.
Even though the Split Cal King is not the most widely available mattress size on the market, there is still good news.
Shoppers have plenty of cool options to choose from, and it’s not that hard to pick the best one. All they need to do is figure out what they want their mattress to feel like. Plus, it’s crucial to pick the appropriate firmness level (for optimal support) and the needed bells and whistles (for enhanced comfort).
As for me, I already know which mattress I would love to keep using for years to come – the Refresh by Natural Form. This is an exceptional bedroom accessory that can work for pretty much any sleeper out there. It allows for easy comfort adjustments, sleeps cool, and has an impressively sturdy feel to it. Chances are, this mattress can keep you and your partner comfortable for a very long time.
What made you search for a Split California King mattress? And do you already have any models among your top options? Let us know in the comments!
- Erin Roberts (March 12, 2014). How To Make Your Bedroom an Allergy-Free Zone. Retrieved from https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/making-your-bedroom-an-allergy-free-zone-200627
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted