This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More
I love that minimalist and conscious living is a trend today.
However, when you start looking for a bed frame that will fit your light and airy bedroom, you may find that the whole market is invaded by those Victorian and vintage designs with a lot of busy details.
Don’t worry, though!
I totally support your goals of creating a superior and simplistic interior! That’s why I’ve found and reviewed the five best minimalist bed frames. So, check them out and feel free to choose the one that appeals to you the most.
A Quick Preview
GhostBed All-in-One Foundation
|Check Current Price|
Read more about this bed frame
Best Wooden Minimalist Bed Frame
Nectar Platform Bed
|Check Current Price|
Read more about this bed frame
Best for Heavier Users
Winkbeds Platform Foundation
|Check Current Price|
Read more about this bed frame
Best Upholstered Minimalist Bed Frame
Eastman Bed Base by Plushbeds
|Check Current Price|
Read more about this bed frame
Best Noise-Free Minimalist Bed Frame
|Check Current Price on Amazon|
Read more about this bed frame
Our Reviews of the 5 Best Minimalist Bed Frames
Best Overall – Editor’s Pick – GhostBed All-in-One Foundation
- removable fabric cover for a neat look and effortless cleaning;
- optional adjustable legs for improved versatility;
- all-metal construction to deliver long-term performance and reliability;
- headboard brackets to offer more setup options;
- comes in only 5 pieces for easy assembly and improved convenience.
I would like to start my list of the best minimalist bed frames with this simple foundation by GhostBeds. Do not let its sleek exterior fool you though. This model is sturdy and reliable. It is well-crafted and promises years of solid support for your mattress (and you). And of course, the contemporary cover makes it an excellent option for those users who appreciate simplicity and universal designs.
Despite its minimalistic look, the GhostBed is a rather functional piece of furniture. It comes with optional adjustable legs that allow users to change the height of their bed. You can adjust the legs according to your needs, whether you want some extra storage space underneath or wish to make your bed taller. Additionally, this model is compatible with headboards. Such a smart construction gives shoppers a chance to transform their bedroom in just a few steps.
Overall, the GhostBed foundation truly is an all-in-one model that could be an optimal solution for those minimalists who appreciate versatility and functionality.
Now, it’s also worth mentioning that the company offers the Comfort Bundle, which includes this exact foundation. On top of that, the Comfort Bundle comes with a mattress of your choice and a set of bedding. It’s an excellent option for those looking to save a few bucks, as the bundle offers great value for money. Plus, it’s currently on sale (30% off), which makes this set a real steal!
- Value seekers. This is a multifunctional piece of furniture that is very reasonably priced. It’s a real steal for the money, which so many users might appreciate.
- Those who want versatility in use. With this bed frame, you have multiple options. You can change the height of the legs, add a headboard, remove or keep the cover, and even fold the bed frame when needed.
- Heavier users. The GhostBed is an all-metal foundation that uses extra legs and a support beam in the middle to deliver solid, reliable support regardless of your body type.
- users note that in some cases, the pre-drilled holes are off-center, so you might have to drill new holes when assembling the bed frame;
- some of the wooden slats may arrive splintered, so you may need to be careful during the set-up process.
Best Wooden Minimalist Bed Frame – Nectar Platform Bed
- three color options to fit into different types of exteriors;
- 30-day return window for customer satisfaction;
- angled legs for a contemporary look;
- no box spring required to help you save a few bucks;
- extra legs and a center beam for additional support.
If you prefer natural materials and want a light bed frame, Nectar has a suitable model to offer. It can make your bedroom look airy and bright while providing solid support for your mattress. Being among the best minimalist bed frames, the Nectar platform foundation combines a modern design with a sturdy build to ensure maximum customer satisfaction.
Now, I should say that this is a mid-rise model. It is 10 inches tall and offers a nice compromise between minimalism and extra storage. It leaves enough space for under-bed “stashes” while maintaining a sleek look. You can keep plenty of stuff under your bed but it won’t look bulky. It’s an excellent solution for smaller apartment owners who want to keep things neat and minimalistic.
All things considered, the Nectar might be the bed frame of your dreams, especially if you like clean lines, natural materials, and would appreciate a solid build.
- Those looking for a mid-rise bed frame. This model is “something in between”: not too tall, not too low-profile. It offers plenty of under-bed storage without looking bulky or making your bed seem too tall.
- People who prefer natural materials. The Nectar is an all-wood bed frame (pine, to be exact) that delivers solid support. Plus, it simply looks beautiful, with those natural wood textures so many users love.
- Hesitant shoppers. This model comes with a 30-day return window. It could be a good solution for those shoppers who aren’t sure what they need. You can test your new bed frame for a few days to see whether it meets your requirements or not. If it doesn’t, you are free to return it (and save your money).
- the frame runs slightly bigger than standard mattresses, which means its edges are going to stick a little (potentially, this can lead to accidental bumps);
- might not work for sleepers who have slight mobility issues (as this frame is still quite low to the ground and can make it challenging to get out of bed for some users).
Best for Heavier Users – Winkbeds Platform Foundation
- robust hardwood frame for strong support;
- properly spaced slats to protect your mattress from premature sagging;
- screw-in legs and simple interlocking connectors for fuss-free assembly;
- support beam to ensure reliable performance;
- slightly higher profile for extra under-bed storage space.
The Winkbeds is one of those bed frames that seem suitable for almost any user. It’s neither too low nor too tall. It looks classy but contemporary and stylish. It can work with different types of head- and footboards, which allows for extra versatility in use. But most importantly, the Winkbeds foundation can provide solid support to any type of sleeper. It uses quality materials and has a sturdy construction, which means it can easily accommodate heavier users (and mattresses).
Being among the best minimalist bed frames, the Winkbeds has an upholstered design. It can boast of clean lines and smooth edges that give this bed frame a contemporary look. The upholstery uses quality gray fabric, which would easily fit into different interiors. There are 9 hardwood legs that nicely blend into the overall ensemble thanks to their natural, dark color. Plus, they provide reliable support all across the perimeter.
On the whole, the Winkbeds foundation has a lot to offer and can make many users happy. Its robust build and stylish looks can easily win almost anyone’s heart, in my humble opinion.
- Owners of smaller apartments. This bed frame is relatively tall and offers plenty of extra storage space underneath.
- Heavier users. The Winkbeds uses top-notch wood, extra legs, and a support beam to guarantee that every user could feel secure when using this bed frame (and for a long term).
- Families with small children. This model has soft, rounded edges that are safe for younger kids (if you let yours play in the bedroom occasionally).
- only one color available, which might disappoint those shoppers who prefer more options;
- the cover is not removable, so you won’t be able to wash it (only spot-clean).
Best Upholstered Minimalist Bed Frame – Eastman Bed Base by Plushbeds
- five color options to satisfy more users;
- does not require a box spring (can help you save a few bucks);
- low-profile design with enough space underneath to provide normal air circulation for the mattress;
- compatible with a headboard to offer more variations for your bedroom;
- extra center legs for additional support.
Another model I would love to share in my review of the best minimalist bed frames is the Eastman base by Plushbeds. This stylish upholstered foundation uses premium fabric to maintain a chic yet classy look that would easily fit into any minimalistic interior. It also comes in a variety of colors, which means there’s a suitable option for almost everyone.
This model is a low-rise bed frame that would work perfectly with a thicker mattress. It can accommodate bulkier models without making your bedroom seem cluttered up or too small. You can also use the Eastman bed frame with a thinner mattress, but make sure it won’t cause any inconvenience (as it might be harder for some users to get out of bed when it’s too low).
And let’s not forget that this model is very reliable. It includes a center beam and extra legs for optimal support. Plus, the Eastman bed frame comes with a 15-year warranty. It can be an indication of the material quality, which means this foundation should serve you loyally for years.
All in all, the Eastman by Plushbeds is a worthy investment. It combines stylish looks with quality, which is a great find for the money. And the upholstered design can easily make your bedroom seem much cozier and welcoming.
- Owners of thicker mattresses. The Eastman is a low-profile bed frame that can make your super-bulky mattress and bed setup look neater.
- Those who want to add some cozy warmth to their bedroom. Thanks to the beautiful upholstered design (and top-quality fabric), this foundation can become a great addition to your bedroom if you wish to create a cozier atmosphere.
- Average-height users and people with no mobility issues. This model is quite low, which might make it a bit uncomfortable for taller individuals (or users who have mobility issues) to get out of bed.
- might be too low and uncomfortable for some users (especially if your current mattress is more on the thinner side);
- belongs to a more expensive category and may not work for shoppers on a budget.
Best Noise-Free Minimalist Bed Frame – Zinus Arnav
- super silent design;
- prevents premature sagging of your mattress;
- has protection caps on the legs.
The next item in my review of the best minimalist bed frames is the Arnav by Zinus. This frame features a metal perimeter and wooden slats and is completely noise-free. My wife tested it with me and had no complaints, and she’s quite a sensitive sleeper. But it’s not the only feature I want to highlight.
The frame has ten 3-inch wide wooden slats that are spaced nearly 4-4.5” apart. This is enough to create a uniform surface for any mattress, including soft foam models. Also, the wider spaces will allow better air circulation under the mattress, which is great for mold prevention.
Along with the foam padded tape that contributes to a quiet construction, the Arnav also comes with a bonus non-slip tape that will hold your mattress firmly in place. Restless sleepers and your partners, pay attention to this neat feature.
So, if you’re sensitive to noise and want a bed frame that is built to last, the Arnav by Zinus will make a great choice for you.
- Sensitive sleepers. The foam padding around the slats will prevent them from squeaking, so even the most sensitive sleepers can enjoy a sound shut-eye.
- Couples. If you have an active sex life, the last thing you want is to reveal it to others. The Arnav will help you keep your romantic activities in secret thanks to its quiet design. Plus, the frame is sturdy enough to withstand your ‘physical activity’.
- Owners of heavy mattresses. The combined steel and wood design can ensure proper support for your mattress — and hence, yourself — and contribute to a longer lifespan by promoting better airflow under the bed.
- may be a hassle to put together;
- the edges are quite sharp and can be a cause of occasional bruises if you’re not careful enough.
What You Should Know About Minimalist Bed Frames
I often hear people say that they’re reluctant to purchase bed frames with a basic design and would much prefer a traditional bed frame style (1). The common belief is that they’re less supportive, poorly made, and somewhat uninteresting.
Honestly though, that’s no longer true.
The truth is, minimalist bed frames have several advantages over classic models:
- They tend to be on the cheaper side. Minimalist bed frames are simplistic in design, meaning they require less time and resources to construct, which reduces their overall cost. And by opting for such a bed frame, you can save the additional money you were going to spend and invest it in a more luxury mattress.
- They come in a variety of designs. The term “minimalist” doesn’t stand for generic or boring – far from it. These days, minimalist frames have quite a unique vibe thanks to a more diverse color range and texture palette.
- They don’t make small spaces look and feel cramped. A simple design, which is also often low-profile, can make even a heavy hybrid mattress feel less bulky. It also adds some airiness to your bedroom interior, making it appear larger, which is great if your bedroom is small.
- They pair well with higher mattresses. Since many minimalist bed frames sit low to the ground, they can support thicker mattresses without creating an awkwardly high bed.
A standard bed frame makes your bed around 25 inches tall, which is considered comfortable for most people. The ideal height of your bed allows you to sit comfortably on the edge and still reach the floor with your feet (2).
A minimalist bed frame made of high-quality steel can easily support up to 1,200 lbs, which makes it a great pick for a large sleeper or a heavy couple.
How to Choose a Suitable Minimalist Bed Frame for Your Mattress?
Even if you’ve set your mind on buying a basic bed frame, the variety of options is endless. So, to find the one that works best for you, you need to first consider a few things.
I have arranged them into a simple list so you can check you’ve covered all aspects:
- Purpose. Are you planning to sleep on your bed regularly or install it in your guest room? Or, maybe you’re looking for a sex-friendly bed frame? You should consider how actively you’re going to use your bed before you make a definite choice. For example, a basic wooden frame could work for the occasional shut-eye, while a metal frame would make a better choice for romantic activities due to its noise-free design.
- Materials. A wooden frame is bouncier but also heavier, especially if it’s made of solid wood. What’s more, wood is more prone to squeaky noises. And while you can still easily fix it in most cases (3), this issue may become extremely annoying with time. Steel frames, on the other hand, typically feature hollow construction, so they’re lighter than wood and more durable. Models that combine wooden slats and a steel perimeter are usually the preffered combination because they offer the best of both worlds.
- Ease of assembly. When buying a minimalist bed frame, you probably expect the assembly process to be minimalistic as well. If this is the case, you may want to look for foldable frames or a snap-lock style assembly. That being said, a frame that requires you to put some effort into its assembly can be because it’s extremely durable, sturdy and long-lasting. Sometimes it’s worth the initial set-up effort and time for the added durability and longevity of the bed frame.
- Extra features. Do you want a frame with a headboard or footboard? Or, do you want non-slip tape to keep your mattress from sliding? If you’re an active sleeper, the latter may be a very handy feature. And the former is a plus for those who want a more traditional look. It’s worth discussing which extra features are worth paying for and which don’t really make much difference. Worth noting – If you or your partner are extremely tall, a footboard might limit the amount of stretching out you can do.
- Design. From a design point of view, it’s best if your frame matches the current style of your bedroom interior in terms of color and texture. If you can’t find the right fit, you can always go with a classic black color or metal (metal frames tend to have thinner support bars, so if the color or style isn’t the perfect fit, this will be less noticeable).
Where to buy a minimalist bed frame?
These days, buying online is efficient because you can search for the best deals, all while selecting from a large variety of options. At the click of a button, you can find your perfect bed frame by searching on Amazon or a bed frame manufacturer website like Zinus.com.
The modern market is slowly but surely adapting to current trends and user preferences. Today, finding a decent bed frame with a minimalist design isn’t very difficult. All the models I’ve reviewed here are very durable and work great in terms of support. So, if you decide to go with one of them, you won’t be disappointed.
As for my favorite, I would pick the Ghostbed foundation. This minimalist bed frame is quite universal and would work for a wide variety of users. The best part is – it allows for multiple adjustments, which means you can tailor it to your specific requirements. And of course, the GhostBed is well-made and sturdy. Chances are, it will remain in your bedroom for years without disappointing you.
I’m curious, why are you considering a minimalist bed frame? What qualities are you looking for in your dream bed frame? Share your thoughts below!
- Christina Frank (2019, August 08). How to Choose the Right Bed Frame for You. Retrieved from https://www.saatva.com/blog/bed-frame-styles/
- Jennifer Gittins (n.a.). What Is the Best Mattress Height From the Floor? Retrieved from https://www.hunker.com/12480839/what-is-the-best-mattress-height-from-the-floor
- Emma Lee (2017, July 18). How to Fix a Squeaky Wooden Bed Frame. Retrieved from https://www.hunker.com/13403370/how-to-fix-a-squeaky-wooden-bed-frame
Bed Frames Considered
Hours of Research
Bed Frame Executives Interviewed
Sleep Experts Consulted