This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More
A mattress pad is an effective solution for upgrading your sleep experience by altering the feel of an old mattress or adding some cushioning.
But how do you choose the right one, when there are so many models?
Well, I suggest you start with the most popular ones first — for example, with the Iso-Cool by BetterSleep.
And my in-depth Iso-Cool mattress pad review will help you learn all the details about this product. So, get cozy and read on!
Compressed and rolled in a box
Delivery (Price & Time)
2-8 business days
So, in the first part of my review of the Iso-Cool mattress pad, we’ll take a look at what it’s made of.
The core layer of the pad is made of 3-inch-thick memory foam. The manufacturer states that it’s temperature-sensitive, which means that in colder climates the topper might feel firmer and vice versa.
Memory foam — thanks to its good contouring properties and low motion transfer — is the most common material for mattress pads. The 3-inch thickness can mask little lumps and saggy spots on your mattress, offering you proper spine support regardless of your weight and preferred sleep position.
Also, having tested the Iso-Cool, I found that the foam in this mattress pad doesn’t accumulate heat, so you won’t feel hot even on summer nights.
Now, the cover is actually the reason why the Iso-Cool pad has got its name. It combines different materials and technologies, all ensuring a great cooling effect. Here they are:
- Natural cotton cover. Natural cotton feels cool and pleasant to the touch and is able to wick away moisture without feeling wet, thus keeping you comfy during sleep. Aside from that, the 300-thread-count cotton creates a durable surface that can withstand years of active use.
- Outlast Adaptive Comfort Technology. This technology features phase-change materials incorporated into the cotton cover. ‘Phase-change’ means that the cover can ‘sense’ the changes in your body temperature and adapt to them by removing heat on hot nights and adding some amount of it back during cold seasons, so you can feel comfortable throughout the year.
- RichLoft polyester fiberfill. The cover has 11 ounces per yard of polyester fibers to add some fluffiness and moldability. Additionally, polyester fill creates a breathable layer between you and the foam for better heat removal.
The Iso-Cool cover has a fitted TightGrip skirt. It’s 15 inches long, but the elasticity of the material allows the skirt to be paired with mattresses up to 20 inches high and ensure a snuggly fit. So, you can stop worrying about how you’ll keep the foam core from sliding off your bed. However, you can check some ways of securing your mattress topper here, just in case. Finally, the cover of the pad is machine washable, which makes the maintenance easy. Just use mild laundry detergent and delicate cycle settings. Then, place your cover in the tumble dryer on the lowest temperature setting so that it won’t damage the fibers.
“If you need to clean the foam core, the best way to do it is either by vacuuming or by spot cleaning with a mild soap solution. Excess moisture is the worst enemy of memory foam, as it may cause mold development. That’s why it’s advisable to let your pad dry completely before putting a cover on it.”
Also read: TOP 5 Best Waterproof Mattress Protectors
The next part of my Iso-Cool mattress pad review will be dedicated to firmness. Even though firmness is a rather subjective parameter, it still defines some qualities of a mattress topper.
So, the combo of the soft quilted cotton cover and the dense foam results in a medium feel. I would rate it as 6 points out of 10 on the universal firmness scale. The pad doesn’t sink too deep and keeps your spine neutrally aligned. However, the amount of cradling is still sufficient to relieve pressure points even in large users.
I think that this mattress pad can efficiently balance out the feel of overly firm mattresses and mask uneven spots on beds that are beginning to wear out.
Also, the topper can absorb some amount of motion if you’re a restless sleeper or have one by your side. Thus, partnered sleepers won’t disturb each other.
How It Feels for Different Type of Sleepers
Everyone has their unique sleeping needs, and a perfect sleep accessory should, obviously, cover them all. But will the Iso-Cool pad meet the most common sleeping demands? Well, let’s find out! In this part of the Iso-Cool review, I’ll explore how this sleep accessory may feel for different types of sleepers based on my experience and inputs from other users.
- Side sleepers. I think that the Iso-Cool easily qualifies as a great mattress topper for side sleeping. Its thickness is sufficient to cradle hips and shoulders and support the neutral spine alignment.
- Back and stomach sleepers. Due to its medium feel, the pad can suit average back sleepers and support their body without putting too much pressure on the lumbar spine. Speaking of stomach sleepers, though, I cannot recommend this mattress pad. My wife is a stomach sleeper, and she complained that her hips sank too deep into the pad, which resulted in soreness the next morning.
- Heavy sleepers. The Iso-Cool can support larger weights thanks to its thickness, so technically, you can use it if you’re a heavy sleeper. But if your mattress is originally very firm, you might feel the hard surface as you sink through the soft pad and hit the mattress. So, I recommend the Iso-Cool for heavier individuals who own medium to medium-firm mattresses. If that’s your case, don’t worry — you won’t experience discomfort because the change in the firmness will be more gradual.
- Cooling sleep lovers. Now, the Iso-Cool topper really stands for its name here. The combo of breathable cotton with phase-change materials and fluffy fibers results in a really good cooling effect. With this mattress pad, you’ll get the needed relief even if you’re a chronic hot sleeper.
- Upper and lower back pain sufferers. The tightly quilted cover along with the cradling memory foam core will contour your spine in almost any sleeping position, relaxing your pressure points. Whether your back pain is episodical or chronic, the Iso-Cool topper might help you relieve it.
Other Important Information
Now, you already have a basic understanding of what the Iso-Cool mattress pad is. But this still might not be enough for some users to make a choice.
So, let me add some final touches.
The Iso-Cool is available in five standard sizes: Twin, Full, Queen, King, and California King. So, it can cover the needs of most users, which is great.
However, if you take a look at the exact dimensions, you’ll see the following:
- Twin: 37” x 72” x 3”;
- Full: 51” x 72” x 3”;
- Queen: 58” x 77” x 3”;
- King: 76” x 73” x 3”
- Cal King: 70” x 80” x 3”.
This means your pad will be slightly smaller than your mattress. This difference helps the topper sit tightly on your mattress once you place the cover on it. The elastic material of the skirt will wrap around the mattress and secure the topper in place.
Another important thing to consider is off-gassing. Foams are prone to emitting odors because of the manufacturing process. It involves a lot of chemicals, and some of them may have a strong odor that can transfer to the final product.
Now, here’s the deal:
The Iso-Cool topper comes compressed in a box, and once you let it decompress, the air will push the odor molecules out and into the bedroom air. So, you might feel slight off-gassing.
However, the foam smell dissipates quickly, and the topper will be completely odorless in 2-3 hours.
If you want to mask the odor completely, you can wash the pad cover and then spray it with a linen spray once it’s dry.
Okay, that was a lot of info, so let’s briefly sum it up. I’ve enjoyed testing the Iso-Cool mattress pad. It sleeps cool and seems really well-made and able to withstand the years of active use. And the best thing is, it can add a good amount of comfort to your mattress. Of course, this topper won’t perfectly suit everyone, but here’s who will definitely make the most of their purchase:
- Hot sleepers. The Iso-Cool stands for its name. The phase-change materials will help maintain an optimal temperature in your bed, and the natural cotton cover will wick away moisture and keep you dry and cozy.
- Allergy sufferers. Cotton is a hypoallergenic material with a soft touch, so if you have sensitive skin, it’s the best choice. Also, the pad’s cover is washable, which will not only help maintain the look for longer but also prevent the dust buildup and decrease your chances of breathing dust mites in.
- Owners of firm mattresses. If your bed has become too firm because of wear-out — or if you have found your new mattress to be too firm for you — the Iso-Cool will easily help you balance out the feel. The foam layer will add some cushioning and mask the firmness of your mattress, thus making your sleep more comfortable.
- Individuals with back pain. The generous amount of cushioning could also be beneficial for those who have back issues. The foam and polyester quilt will conform to your spine curves and relax deep muscles, thereby alleviating pain.
So, what are your thoughts now? Will the Iso-Cool make a good addition to your bed? Share your opinion in the comments!