This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More
Everyone knows that Reddit forums can be a great source of information.
And it even applies to mattress shopping.
So, if you are still searching for the bed of your dreams, check out some of the best mattresses on Reddit and find the perfect one. And don’t forget to read the buyer’s guide that can help you make the most informed decision. Let’s dive right in!
A Quick Preview
Best Online Mattress on to Reddit
|Check Current Price|
Read more about this mattress
Best Memory Foam Mattress
|Check Current Price|
Read more about this mattress
Best Budget Mattress
|Check Current Price|
Read more about this mattress
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers on Reddit
|Check Current Price|
Read more about this mattress
Best Mattress on Amazon According to Reddit
Tuft & Needle
|Check Current Price on Amazon|
Read more about this mattress
Our Reviews of the Top 5 Reddit-Recommended Mattresses
Best Online Mattress on Reddit — Saatva
- sturdy construction thanks to quality foams and thick support coils;
- Spinal Zone Technology for enhanced spinal support;
- individually wrapped coils for targeted support;
- 3 firmness variations, would work for almost any sleeper;
- natural cover for improved breathability.
Being among the best online mattresses on Reddit, the Saatva has a lot to boast of. The company offers white-glow delivery and a 180-night in-home trial, which is a great option for those who prefer online shopping and want it to be fuss- and risk-free. Additionally, this top-rated hybrid mattress has a smart construction that results in a very balanced feel. And it gets even better: the Saatva comes in 3 firmness options, which means it would work for different body types and sleeping positions.
- White-glow delivery for fuss-free online shopping;
- 3-inch thick Eurotop which is breathable, feels luxurious and offers extra cushioning;
- The coil and foam combination allows for maximal aeration and breathability, ensuring sleepers don’t sleep hot;
- Multiple firmness (and thickness) options to accommodate a wide range of sleepers;
- Well-made and sturdy (plus comes with a long warranty period);
- Special spinal support using high-density memory foam for pressure-point relief and to maintain back health.
- Offers bouncy support and may be too resilient for partnered sleep (especially if one sleeper is restless and the other one can be disturbed easily).
Best Memory Foam Mattress — Puffy Mattress
- adaptive materials to guarantee pinpoint support and pressure redistribution;
- excellent motion-absorbing properties to ensure undisturbed partnered sleep;
- machine-washable cover for easy maintenance.
The Puffy can be an excellent solution for those who want a good pressure-relieving mattress. It molds to the sleeper’s shape, offering sinkage for the heavier body parts and gently hugging the curves. As a result, the Puffy made me feel weightless, with no tension in my body. That’s what makes this model one of the best memory foam mattresses, according to Reddit.
Another aspect I appreciate is the Puffy’s slow response to pressure. The foam moves slowly and, thus, does not transfer shock from motion across the surface. This makes the Puffy ideal for partnered sleepers, especially if one of them tends to be restless. I, for one, did not wake my wife up, even though I’m a combination sleeper.
Read our full Puffy mattress review for more information.
- Combines 2-inch thick memory foam layer supported by 6” of high-density foam for optimal body contouring and pressure point relief;
- well-made and offers great value for money;
- The combination of memory foam layers doesn’t allow for motion transfer;
- medium-firm feel to satisfy a wide range of sleepers;
- easy to clean thanks to the removable cover, which is also made from stain-resistant material;
- Uses gel-infused foam for top foam layer alongside a breathable cover to aid thermoregulation during sleep.
- Some sleepers may find it hard to get out of bed owing to the somewhat restricting feel of memory foam;
- may not be supportive enough for heavier individuals and stomach sleepers.
Best Budget Mattress — Vaya
- open-cell foam structure for improved thermoregulation during the night;
- close conforming to aid fast relaxation and even weight distribution;
- quality-made with an attractive price tag, offers great value for money.
If you are looking for a good mattress that wouldn’t affect your budget that much, you might want to consider the Vaya. Being among the best affordable mattresses according to Reddit, this model feels impressively comfy despite its simple construction. The Vaya uses open-cell foam that offers enough of a hug to aid instant relaxation. However, it does not retain that much heat and thus, won’t make you sweat during the night. And all of that for a very reasonable price.
Another aspect you might appreciate is the motion-isolating properties this mattress has. It would come in handy if you share your bed with a partner and you two don’t wish to disturb each other during sleep. I was testing the Vaya with my wife (who is much smaller than me). She didn’t notice any motion transfer when I was moving on the other side of the bed. It would also be helpful if you and your significant other have different schedules.
- comes with an attractive price tag but does not sacrifice quality for affordability;
- With the fine foam layering, it offers excellent body conforming to ensure fast tension alleviation;
- Open-cell foam material offers improved breathability which makes it great for hot sleepers;
- The base layer features a dense foam which helps support body weight and keeps the mattress durable.
- does an excellent job of reducing motion transfer, great for partnered sleep.
- may not be firm enough for stomach sleepers or heavier folks;
- The all-foam mattress design results in below-average edge support, which makes this unsuitable for partnered sleepers.
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers on Reddit — Nectar
- offers close conforming and a generous hug, great for side sleepers;
- quilted cover for more padding;
- excellent motion isolation, ideal for partnered sleep;
- gel-infused comfort foam for cool pressure relief;
- breathable Tencel cover fabric for cooler sleep.
The next model I want to mention is the best mattress for side sleepers on Reddit. It offers a generous hug and can gently envelop your shoulders and hips when you are lying on one side. This is one of those mattresses that can make you feel like sleeping on a cloud while offering a good level of support for your spine and back. Plus, it sleeps neutral even while cradling your pressure points, which is a huge bonus.
- Memory foam top layer offers good cradling on the protruding body parts and pressure points, suited for side sleepers;
- Quality support layers featuring a bounce layer and a dense core, which ensure responsiveness and upthrust for body weight;
- Good motion isolation, works for couples;
- Its firmly-seamed mattress cover keeps the mattress in shape and maintains the firmness level.
- The quilted top cover wicks off body heat and helps to sleep cool.
- The memory foam top layer hugs tightly and may cause heavier sleepers (over 230 pounds) to sleep hot;
- Its firmness level isn’t very flexible for petite sleepers as the mattress cover is tightly seamed.
- proprietary Adaptive Foam for superb pressure relief;
- sturdy support layer for reliable performance and to combat the quicksand feeling;
- infused with gel and graphite for cooler sleep;
- medium feel to accommodate a wide range of sleepers;
- removable cover for fuss-free maintenance.
If you prefer shopping on Amazon, you might want to check out this mattress by Tuft and Needle. Also being among the best mattresses on Amazon according to Reddit users, this model offers good value for money. And despite having a rather simple construction, the Tuft and Needle is a great find. It is very comfortable, offers close conforming, and delivers reliable support. Plus, it’s currently on sale on Amazon, so you can even save a few bucks.
- The gel and graphite-infused open-cell foam offers great breathability enough to keep hot sleepers cool;
- Affordable and well-made, offers good value for money;
- Good motion isolation, suited for couples;
- Soft cover, pleasant to the touch and easy to clean;
- Its foam layer contours well to the body at protruding points which relieves body pressure.
- Tight mattress cover and seams might make the mattress a bit too firm for petite side sleepers.
- Mediocre edge support, might not work for those who want extra sleeping space.
How to Make Sure a Reddit-Recommended Mattress Would Work for You
While there’s a ton of cool mattresses chosen (and tested) by Reddit users, not all of them would be suitable for you. And even the most comfortable mattress might feel wrong if you don’t choose wisely.
And it’s not only about your personal preferences (which play a huge role, of course). It’s also about your body type and preferred sleeping position. To make sure that your new Reddit-recommended mattress would not disappoint you, it’s crucial to pick the appropriate firmness level.
Allow me to explain, and let’s start with the most popular sleeping position – on one side (1). Side sleepers are typically recommended to choose softer mattresses, the ones rated around 4 on the firmness scale (with 1 being the softest and 10 being the firmest). If you are a petite individual, you might even get a mattress rated 3. Heavier folks (over 230 pounds) should pick something stiffer (around 5) to get proper support. The reason why side sleepers need softer mattresses is simple: to prevent the hips and shoulders from crashing into the surface of the bed. Instead, they need to sink in a little, which a softer mattress would allow.
Moving on to the second most popular sleeping position – on one’s back (2). It is considered to be the best position in terms of back health, as it aids proper spinal alignment. Therefore, back sleepers don’t need that much sinkage and require reliable support. They are advised to choose medium to medium-firm mattresses (rated around 5-6). Such beds would allow for a moderate amount of sinkage (enough for the hips and buttocks) while keeping the spine neutral. Again, lightweight individuals should pick something softer and heavier users – something slightly firmer.
Even though stomach sleeping is less popular (3), there are many people who find this position the most comfortable. Such sleepers need stiffer mattresses that don’t allow that much sinkage (minimal or zero is preferred). Why? Because if heavier body parts sink in while you are lying on your stomach, there will be an unnatural curve in your spine that can put a strain on your back and neck. In the long term, it can lead to back issues and even chronic pain (4). Average sleepers are recommended to pick mattresses rated around 7, petite users – around 6, and larger individuals – around 8 or even 9.
Other Things to Consider: Buyer’s Guide
So, now you have a selection of the top mattresses according to Reddit. Plus, you already know which firmness level you should look for. Is that all you need to know when shopping? Not quite. Of course, if you want to shop smartly. In this case, it’s always better to do a little research beforehand and account for the following factors:
- Type. I’m sure you understand that each mattress type has its peculiarities and unique characteristics (some of which might not work for you). For example, memory foam usually offers a deep hug and molds to the sleeper’s body (often creating a feeling of being hugged or stuck in the mattress material). It shows good results in terms of motion isolation and pressure relief. Memory foam usually has minimal or no bounce at all. Latex is more resilient (and durable). Latex mattresses offer bouncy pressure relief, which many users describe as sleeping “on” the mattress rather than in it. Hybrid mattresses use combined materials, such as pocketed coils for support and foam or latex for comfort. Usually, hybrid mattress manufacturers try to achieve a balanced feel. They often combine bouncy, resilient support with a good amount of cradling. As for innerspring mattresses, they are usually very bouncy and have strong edges, which may come in handy if you need more sleeping space. At the same time, innerspring models aren’t perfect in terms of pressure relief and motion isolation.
- Size. This aspect is a matter of your preferences that would also depend on your bedroom size. If your living space allows for it, you can choose among the best Queen-sized mattresses as this option is the most popular and can easily accommodate two adults. For solo users, a Full should be enough. And couples that require more legroom can try a King or even a Cal King (if you tend to sleep far from each other).
- Budget. To narrow down the list of options, you can start by deciding how much you are willing to invest in your new mattress. Keep in mind that you can find some of the best mattresses under $500 if you are on a tight budget, but they might be less durable than pricier options. Typically, higher-quality models cost around $1000 and up. Latex mattresses are among the most expensive ones due to their prolonged durability.
- Safety certifications. No one wants to sleep on a mattress that smells like chemicals. Additionally, it isn’t the safest option. That’s why it’s always a good idea to check for such certifications as CertiPur-US, GreenGuard, Oeko-Tex Standard, etc. Eco-conscious shoppers may want to consider latex mattresses. They are believed to be the safest option, plus many of them are organic.
- Edge support. Firm edges can give partnered sleepers more space, maintaining uniform support all across the mattress’s surface. Hybrid and innerspring models typically have the strongest edges and, thus, would be the best solution for couples who want a little extra space.
- Sleep trial and warranty. These two aspects are very important as they can protect you as a customer. A prolonged sleep trial will allow you to use your mattress for a while and return it if it doesn’t feel comfortable enough. And a prolonged warranty can mean that the mattress uses quality, durable materials that would serve you for years.
- Motion isolation (for partnered sleep). If you or your partner can be disturbed easily by movement during the night, you might want to choose a mattress that can absorb shock from motion quite well. Memory foam is usually the top choice in this case. You can also check some hybrid models, but make sure that they use thick enough foam comfort layers.
- Temperature control. Research suggests that we sleep better in a pleasantly cool environment rather than in a warm one (5). Plus, I doubt someone likes waking up all sweaty. Therefore, it might be a good idea to pick a mattress that has cooling properties. Keep in mind that latex is naturally temperature-neutral and hybrid mattresses don’t typically sleep hot due to their breathable construction. As for memory foam models, they might trap heat. However, there are mattresses that use breathable open-cell foam or infuse it with gel particles for a cooling effect.
How thick should my mattress be?
For average or lightweight sleepers, anything around 8-9 inches should be enough. If you are a heavier individual (over 200-230 pounds), you might want to choose something thicker (starting from 11 inches).
How much should I spend on a new mattress?
It depends on your budget, but generally, you can find good memory foam mattresses in the $500-800 price range. Hybrid and latex models are usually a bit more expensive.
How long do memory foam mattresses last?
If we’re talking about quality, high-density foam, such a mattress can last for up to 10 years on average.
Are more expensive mattresses really worth it?
Yes, in most cases, as a higher price point usually means that the manufacturer uses materials and components of a higher quality. However, you need to be careful with impressive price tags. Sometimes manufacturers raise prices because of the bells and whistles that have nothing to do with the mattress quality.
What is the best mattress firmness according to Reddit?
Reddit users typically recommend medium-firm or medium mattresses, as that is the firmness level that can work for a wide range of sleepers and often delivers a balanced combination of enough support and pressure relief.
As you can see, there’s a ton of options to choose from.
And whichever mattress you decide to pick, don’t forget to check its specified firmness level and the construction, as it will also determine the feel of your new bed. It also doesn’t hurt to read the warranty conditions and learn more about the sleep trial. Remember that most manufacturers offer it for free, but some companies may charge you the mattress return fee.
Not sure what to choose? Then allow me to recommend the mattress that I enjoyed testing the most. Sleeping on the Saatva memory foam mattress, I felt properly supported and perfectly comfortable. This model offers a generous hug, which so many memory foam fans would love. Plus, it gives users the freedom to try two firmness options and switch between them when needed. All in all, the Saatva is a real gem, and I’m sure you would love it too.
Do you think I’m right? Or are you considering any other mattress? Share your thoughts in the comments!
- WebMD (September 11, 2019). How Your Sleep Position Affects Your Health. Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/ss/slideshow-sleep-positions
- Eivind Schjelderup Skarpsno, Paul Jarle Mork, Tom Ivar Lund Nilsen, and Andreas Holtermann (November 01, 2017). Sleep positions and nocturnal body movements based on free-living accelerometer recordings: association with demographics, lifestyle, and insomnia symptoms. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5677378/
- BBC News (September 16, 2003). Sleep position gives personality clue. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3112170.stm
- James McIntosh (February 23, 2017). What is causing this pain in my back? Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/172943
- Natalie Silver (December 13, 2019). What Is the Best Temperature for Sleep? Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/sleep/best-temperature-to-sleep
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted