This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More
Sex is an important part of every relationship, no one’s going to argue with that.
But all these guides on how to make your sexual life better are really missing something essential.
I’m talking about the mattress.
Along with discussing your partner’s needs and desires, a sex-friendly mattress can really take your intimacy to a whole new level.
That’s why I’ve made this review of the best mattresses for sex that can satisfy even the pickiest user. So, sit down and take a look at my findings!
A Quick Preview
Botanical Bliss by Plushbeds
|Check this Mattress on PlushBeds.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best for Bouncy Pressure Relief
|Check this Mattress on Amerisleep.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best for Edge Support
|Check this Mattress on Novosbed.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best Cheap Option
|Check this Mattress on NectarSleep.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best for Bouncy Support
|Check this Mattress on DreamCloudSleep.com|
Read more about this mattress
Our Reviews of 5 Best Sex-Friendly Mattresses
Best Overall - Botanical Bliss by Plushbeds
- adjustable firmness, great for those who aren’t sure what comfort level they need;
- eco-friendly and hypoallergenic, suited for sensitive users;
- all-latex construction, sleeps naturally cool;
- bouncy support, won’t restrict you in bed;
- natural cotton cover for increased breathability.
And the last candidate in my review of the best mattresses for sex is the Botanical Bliss by Plushbeds. This mattress is made of natural latex and organic materials from top to bottom, which means that it has a good bounce, sleeps cool, and doesn’t pack any harsh chemicals inside.
What’s even more exciting about this bed is that you get 2 firmness levels in one mattress. Just unzip the cover and put the upper layer with a soft feel under the medium layer that has a medium feel. And that’s it!
Now, latex is perfect in many ways:
It’s made of renewable resources, immune to mold and dust mites, and sleeps cool due to the open-cell structure. The latter is enhanced in this model even further by the organic cotton cover that promotes airflow and wicks away moisture.
Also, the Botanical Bliss responds to pressure fast and doesn’t limit your movements. I mean, if this isn’t an ideal sex-friendly bed, then what is?
So, if you need a durable mattress that has decent supportive properties and is made with the minimum environmental impact, choose the Botanical Bliss.
- Hot sleepers. The combo of organic cotton, natural wool, and latex is unbeatable in terms of offering you breeze-like sleep.
- Eco-enthusiasts. Latex trees are a renewable resource, and the brand itself cares about minimizing the negative impact on the planet and your health.
- Sensitive users. Latex is immune to almost all common allergens in the US homes, including dust mites. So if you’re prone to allergies, this bed will protect you from outbreaks.
- you might need someone’s help when adjusting the firmness because the latex layers can be too heavy to move on your own;
- on the expensive side.
Best for Bouncy Pressure Relief - Amerisleep AS3
- hypoallergenic plant-based foams, safe even for sensitive users;
- zoned HIVE technology for targeted support;
- open-cell design for cooler sleep;
- more responsive than traditional foam, won’t make you feel trapped in the mattress materials;
- breathable cover for enhanced air circulation.
The first option in my review of the best mattresses for sex is the AS3 by Amerisleep, which is one of the greatest models I’ve recently tested. It has a medium feel that can please almost any user and features a good balance between responsiveness and a good hug.
The upper layer of the mattress is made of Bio-Pur plant-based foam that doesn’t make you feel stuck and offers some bounce, which can spice up your love activities. Also, this foam feels cooler than traditional foam due to the open-cell structure, so you will sleep cool.
Also, the mattress has a transitional layer made with the HIVE technology. It gives you precise support for both sex and sleep and redistributes weight evenly across the mattress surface. The HIVE hexagons also help you maintain proper spine alignment in any position.
Finally, the AS3 is wrapped in a soft and breathable cover. It has diamond-shaped perforations and promotes better airflow between the layers, so you can expect breeze-like sleep.
Overall, I really like the Amerisleep mattress. It has decent construction and may please any fan of foam beds.
- Active users. No matter how active you’re in bed, the Amerisleep mattress will offer you just the right amount of support and bounce.
- Those who want a balanced feel. Denser foams and the transitional layer offer exceptional support along with close conforming to your body curves.
- Mixed sleepers. The AS3 is available in the medium firmness, which is considered the most optimal level for any sleeping style.
- might lack edge support;
- even though the AS3 traps less heat than similar foam mattresses, it still might sleep a bit hot.
Best for Edge Support - Novosbed
- great edge support, so you can use all of the mattress surface;
- 3 firmness levels to accommodate all types of sleepers;
- removable and washable cover for fuss-free cleaning;
- classic memory foam feel for effective pressure relief;
- premium base foam for durability and reliable support.
If you think that a memory foam mattress isn’t the best choice for sex, then the Novosbed will prove you wrong. Great support, a noticeable cooling effect, and durable materials are the top 3 reasons why I’ve added the Novosbed to my review of the best mattresses for sex.
Now, let’s take a closer look.
The Novosbed has three firmness levels: soft, medium, and firm, so technically, it can meet any demand. Moreover, the manufacturer can help you adjust the firmness of the mattress by sending the Comfort+ kit if you find out that the chosen firmness isn’t right for you.
Speaking of the performance, the Novosbed has everything to be claimed as a sex-friendly bed. Dense memory foam ensures sturdiness and a quicker response than what most memory foam mattresses have. The open-cell comfort layers and Tencel cover help cool you down, and great pressure-relieving effects will guarantee the sound sleep after your romantic activities.
So, if you’re looking for a bed that is suitable for both sex and sleep, the Novosbed will be a great choice!
- Fans of the classic memory foam feel. The Novosbed offers exceptional cradling and easily adjusts to your body shape for that pain-relieving sleep.
- Those who need a durable bed. The Novosbed is built to last. It can withstand both static and dynamic loads for years, so, no matter how active you are in bed, this mattress can deal with that.
- Those who want to use the entire mattress surface. The edge support of the Novosbed almost reaches the level of a hybrid mattress, which can help you make use of more space.
- may not work for light sleepers who share a bed with an active partner;
- some odor is possible.
Best Cheap Option - Nectar
- quality materials and reasonable pricing, offers great value for money;
- adapts to your body shape without feeling like quicksand;
- medium firmness to accommodate a wide range of sleepers;
- responsive transition layer, won’t limit your movements;
- quilted cover for extra comfort and padding.
A top-rated mattress for sex doesn’t have to cost all the money in the world, and I’ve put the Nectar on my list to prove you that. This mattress effectively absorbs movements and cradles your body but doesn’t make you feel stuck. And it costs less than $1,000 for a Queen!
The upper comfort layer of the Nectar is made of gel-infused foam, which will help you stay cool even during the night. Also, the foam perfectly adjusts to your body and relieves the pressure points for better sleep after your romantic activities.
The cover is made of breathable Tencel fabric and is quilted with memory foam to enhance the cooling and cradling effects even further. Also, you can spot clean it in the case of accidents, which makes mattress maintenance simple.
I really enjoyed testing the Nectar. It’s affordable, comfortable and may suit even very active users for their activities without sacrificing its supportive properties.
- People on a budget. The Nectar has great value for money and performs no worse than expensive models, so I’d call it a deal.
- Side and back sleepers. The medium feel with a pronounced hug can alleviate the pain and stiffness in the hips and shoulders of those sleeping on their side and ensure even weight distribution for those sleeping on their back.
- Sensitive sleepers. An all-foam construction guarantees peaceful and uninterrupted sleep after you finish your romantic activities.
- edge support could be better;
- might sleep a bit hot.
Best for Bouncy Support - Dreamcloud
- offers a good bounce and can complement your movements;
- breathable design for cooler sleep;
- sturdy and heavy, won’t slide off no matter how active you are;
- 1-year sleep trial for hesitant shoppers;
- enhanced edge support for more space for you and your partner.
When reviewing the best mattresses for sex, I couldn’t help but include the Dreamcloud. This hybrid bed has thoughtful construction perfectly suitable for both sex and sleep. Plus, it is very well-built, so it’s able to support your activities for years.
So, the core layer is made of individually wrapped coils, and you may thank it for the bounce this bed has. The Dreamcloud can easily adjust to your rhythm and make things really hot. Also, the coils ensure proper edge support, so you’ll have the whole mattress area at your service.
Along with that, the Dreamcloud packs three comfort layers with a plush feel above the coils, which results in a cozy hug that can cradle you and relax your muscles. But don’t worry, you won’t sleep hot. The Dreamcloud features open-cell and gel-infused foams that effectively dissipate body heat and hence, can keep you cool and dry.
So, If you’re a fan of hybrid beds or need a responsive mattress, I definitely recommend you go for the Dreamcloud.
- Active users. What’s better for romantic activities than a responsive and sturdy bed? The Dreamcloud qualifies for both of these parameters.
- Those who love to stretch while sleeping. Good edge support of the Dreamcloud will ensure that you’ll have enough space even if your bedmate loves to snooze in the starfish position.
- Heavy sleepers. Coils can withstand larger weight without sacrificing support, so if you’re on the heavier side, the Dreamcloud will make a worthy purchase.
- might not be firm enough for strict stomach sleepers;
- the coils might start to squeak over time.
The Connection Between Mattress and Sex
You may think your sex life and your bed are not connected in any way.
But here’s what science says:
According to a 2015 study on young men, not getting enough sleep may lead to a decrease in testosterone (1). This, in turn, results in a reduced libido and low energy levels overall, which doesn’t sound like the best setting for a romantic night.
That’s why sleeping well is important. And you obviously need a good mattress to help you there. Aside from that, if you plan to use your bed for both sleep and sex, it should be suitable for both these activities too.
Which Mattress Type Is the Most Sex-Friendly?
Today, there are four main mattress types on the market: innerspring, hybrid, foam, and latex. While each of them certainly has it’s good points, not any mattress can be called sex-friendly.
And I will explain to you why right below.
- Innerspring. Innerspring mattresses are very bouncy, which may add some spice to your romantic activities. They also have sturdy edges, which is essential if you share a bed with someone. However, innerspring beds mostly feature solid steel units as the core layer, and these units are prone to squeaking, so you need to keep that in mind.
- Hybrid. In my opinion, if you need a really sex-friendly bed, there’s no better option than a hybrid mattress. The coil system or solid steel block can give you the right motion response, whereas the comfort layers above can ensure proper cradling and pressure relief. Hybrids are comfortable for both sex and sleep (2). However, the prices may vary significantly depending on the materials used. Also, like innersprings, hybrid beds might start to squeak over time, which can be pretty revealing.
- Foam. I include both memory foam and polyfoam in this category because they have very similar qualities when it comes to performance during sex. Foam mattresses typically have low motion transfer, which means little to no bounce. This can make shifting through different positions challenging. Still, there are models that respond to pressure pretty fast, so they don’t restrict your movements during sex and can still nicely hug you during sleep.
- Latex. A latex mattress can make a great sex-friendly bed. Being durable and bouncy, it can offer a good level of contouring without interfering with your position shifting. Also, latex can cool you down after a steamy night. The only drawback of latex beds is their price: you can hardly find a 100% latex mattress under $1,000.
What about futon mattresses, you may ask?
Well, they make an affordable mattress alternative for sleeping, but results may vary if you plan to use them as your lovemaking spot. Futons are pretty thin in most cases and do not have the firm core inside, which means that they won’t bounce back to your movements. However, if you manage to find a good futon frame, it may compensate for the lack of motion response and make your mattress more compatible with intimate activities.
Other Factors That Make a Good Mattress for Sex
So, you probably know that regular sex can improve your sleep.
And I believe that along with listening and communicating with your partner, getting a good mattress CAN help your love nights happen more frequently.
Below, you will find a small checklist that will help you get a perfect mattress by all means.
Everyone deserves getting comfy during and after sex, and the mattress size is a crucial factor for that. Typically, a Queen-sized mattress can accommodate two average sleepers without feeling crowded. But if you’re a large sleeper, you might need something bigger, such as a King-sized bed, to get that extra space.
Bounce is an essential characteristic of a sex-friendly bed. It needs to be noticeable so that the mattress can serve as a kind of amplifier to your rhythm. At the same time, if it’s too noticeable, it may disrupt your sleep for the rest of the night.
I recommend you choose hybrid and latex mattresses over the others. They have just the right amount of responsiveness and don’t feel too springy when you’re sleeping on them.
Alternatively, you may choose polyfoam mattresses made of dense open-cell foams, such as some models reviewed above. They typically are more spongy and don’t make you feel stuck in the layers.
When things get really hot, a decent sex-friendly mattress should be able to adjust to temperature fluctuations and maintain the optimal climate in your love nest.
The best candidates for that are natural and semi-natural materials, such as latex, plant-derived foams, cotton or Tencel cover fabrics, etc. Or, you may choose a mattress with a coil system that allows for better airflow between the layers.
Wrapping UpOkay, this might seem like a lot of info to digest. However, choosing a good mattress for sex is much easier than it may seem. Just follow my recommendations or simply point out the model that appeals to you the most among the five I’ve reviewed above — they’ve all passed my tests and offer great value for money. As for my personal favorite, I want to recommend the Botanical Bliss by Plushbeds. This mattress uses only natural and safe components. It is also well-made and durable. Additionally, the Botanical Bliss offers a good amount of bounce and can complement your movements without making any noise during your love activities. Plus, it’s very comfy for sleep and even allows for firmness adjustments. What about you? What factors are essential for you when making a choice, and which model out of those above meets your definition of a sex-friendly mattress? Share your thoughts below!
- Rachel Leproult, PhD and Eve Van Cauter, PhD (2015, May 27). Effect of 1 Week of Sleep Restriction on Testosterone Levels in Young Healthy Men. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4445839/
- Megan Willet (2013, May 7). Sex On Memory Foam Feels Like 'Being Stuck In Quicksand,' Spring Mattress Maker Finds. Retrieved from https://www.businessinsider.com/couples-prefer-spring-mattresses-for-sex-2013-5
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted