This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More
But all these guides on how to make your sexual life better are really missing something essential.
I’m talking about the mattress.
Along with discussing your partner’s needs and desires, a sex-friendly mattress can really take your intimacy to a whole new level.
That’s why I’ve made this review of the best mattresses for sex that can satisfy even the pickiest user. So, sit down and take a look at my findings!
A Quick Preview
|Read more about this mattress|
Best Noiseless Mattress for Sex
|Read more about this mattress|
Best for Firmness Variety
|Read more about this mattress|
Best Cooling Mattress for Sex
|Read more about this mattress|
Best for Extra Space
Brooklyn Signature Hybrid by Brooklyn Bedding
|Read more about this mattress|
Our Reviews of 5 Best Sex-Friendly Mattresses
Editor’s Choice — Amerisleep AS3
- hypoallergenic plant-based foams, safe even for sensitive users;
- zoned HIVE technology for targeted support;
- open-cell design for cooler sleep;
- more responsive than traditional foam, won’t make you feel trapped in the mattress materials;
- breathable cover for enhanced air circulation.
The first option in my review of the best mattresses for sex is the AS3 by Amerisleep, which is one of the greatest models I’ve recently tested. It has a medium feel that can please almost any user and features a good balance between responsiveness and a good hug.
The upper layer of the mattress is made of Bio-Pur plant-based foam that doesn’t make you feel stuck and offers some bounce, which can spice up your love activities. Also, this foam feels cooler than traditional foam due to the open-cell structure, so you will sleep cool.
Also, the mattress has a transitional layer made with the HIVE technology. It gives you precise support for both sex and sleep and redistributes weight evenly across the mattress surface. The HIVE hexagons also help you maintain proper spine alignment in any position.
Finally, the AS3 is wrapped in a soft and breathable cover. It has diamond-shaped perforations and promotes better airflow between the layers, so you can expect breeze-like sleep.
Overall, I really like the Amerisleep mattress. It has decent construction and may please any fan of foam beds.
Read our full Amerisleep AS3 mattress review for more information.
- Active users. No matter how active you’re in bed, the Amerisleep mattress will offer you just the right amount of support and bounce.
- Those who want a balanced feel. Denser foams and the transitional layer offer exceptional support along with close conforming to your body curves.
- Mixed sleepers. The AS3 is available in the medium firmness, which is considered the most optimal level for any sleeping style.
- might lack edge support;
- even though the AS3 traps less heat than similar foam mattresses, it still might sleep a bit hot.
Best Noiseless Mattress for Sex - Puffy Mattress
- adaptive feel to ensure comfortable sleep and effective pressure alleviation;
- removable cover for easy maintenance;
- gel-infused comfort layer to combat overheating;
- excellent motion isolation properties for undisturbed partnered sleep;
- medium-firm feel to accommodate a wide range of sleepers.
If you don’t mind a generous hug and appreciate close conforming, the Puffy might become your best mattress for sex and sleep. This model is completely silent, making it ideal for partners who want to keep their intimate moments to themselves. The Puffy may lack a bit of bounce for some couples, but I found it rather reasonable for sex. Besides, that’s a small price to pay for a completely noiseless experience, in my opinion.
I also appreciate that the Puffy mattress comes with a unique cover. It has a Grip Base bottom that prevents the mattress from sliding off the foundation. I tested it with an adjustable bed frame, and luckily, my Puffy mattress didn’t shift even once. Such a design makes this model suitable for sex, too, as it will remain in place despite even vigorous activity on top.
Read our full Puffy mattress review for more information.
- Couples who have kids or live with roommates. The Puffy mattress is very quiet. Therefore, it can help partners keep their intimate lives a secret from anyone else in the house or apartment.
- Active partnered sleepers. Thanks to its all-foam construction, this mattress absorbs shock from motion very well. Therefore, each partner can move in bed as much as they want without disturbing the other sleeper.
- Average and petite individuals. The Puffy is a medium-firm mattress. Therefore, it can offer the best support levels to lightweight and petite individuals. Heavier sleepers might not feel that comfortable, unfortunately.
- may cause heat retention in side sleepers;
- might not be firm enough for heavier folks (over 230 pounds).
Best for Firmness Variety — WinkBed
- coil-on-coil construction to deliver pinpoint support;
- thick Euro-top for adaptive pressure alleviation;
- enhanced edge support to provide more space for both sleep and sex.
- four firmness levels to work for all sleeping styles and body types;
- proprietary lumbar layer to aid healthy spinal alignment during sleep.
The best mattress for sex has to be responsive, supportive, and reliable. And the Winkbed mattress is one of them. This model has a coil-on-coil construction that allows it to complement the moves and even boost some of them, potentially making sex more enjoyable for active couples.
However, a great mattress should also be suited for healthy sleep. And since the Winkbed comes in 4 firmness options, it can tick this box too. It offers enough firmness variations to cover the needs of different sleeper types and positions. Such a variety is quite rare (none of the items on this list can compete with that). Therefore, the Winkbed can satisfy a wider range of users.
Read our full Winkbed mattress review for more information.
- All sleeping styles. Since this model offers a rather wide variety of comfort options, the Winkbed would work for different sleep positions and body types.
- Couples who want to use the full perimeter of the mattress. This mattress has reinforced edges and provides uniform support all across the surface.
- Those who hate sleeping hot. The Winkbed is breathable and uses gel-infused foam for the comfort layer to eliminate overheating.
- the internal coil structure might start making noise after some time, which may not work for those couples who prefer being discreet about their sex life (for instance, those who have roommates);
- may not be hugging enough for those who like sleeping on a cradling mattress;
- some motion transfer is possible, which can be an issue for light sleepers.
Best Cooling Mattress for Sex - Saatva Classic
- three comfort variations to satisfy more types of sleepers;
- independent coils for targeted support and pinpoint pressure alleviation;
- proprietary lumbar layer to aid a healthy sleeping posture;
- extra-dense foam rails to prevent sagging around the edges;
- coil-on-coil construction for reliable support and improved breathability.
There are many reasons why the Saatva deserves to be among the best mattresses for sex. It is bouncy and supportive, allowing this model to contribute to your and your partner’s moves. But the thing I love the most about the Saatva is its thermoregulating abilities. This is one of the most breathable mattresses I have ever tested. Therefore, the Saatva Classic does not cause overheating even during “strenuous” activities.
It’s also worth mentioning that this mattress can isolate movement during sleep (despite its responsive feel). The Saatva uses wrapped coils that compress independently when the pressure is applied. As a result, shock from motion doesn’t travel across the mattress’s surface. I find this feature extremely helpful, as my wife is a light sleeper. With the Saatva, I didn’t disturb her even once during the night.
- Hot sleepers. The Saatva Classic isn’t likely to sleep hot due to its breathable construction. It also has a natural cotton cover that aids thermoregulation. Therefore, this model can work for hot sleepers and may also prevent too much heat build-up during sex.
- People with bad backs. This mattress delivers targeted support that aids pressure redistribution and may help with pain alleviation. Additionally, the Saatva has a unique lumbar layer. It is meant to help the spine maintain its natural curve, leading to a healthier sleeping posture and reduced back pain.
- Active and combination sleepers. The Saatva Classic is a responsive mattress that does not restrict movement. Therefore, it makes changing positions easy for combo or restless sleepers. At the same time, independent coils do not allow for too much motion transfer, making the Saatva suited for active partnered sleepers.
- might not be hugging enough for lightweight side sleepers;
- some motion transfer is possible if there’s a significant weight difference between the sleepers.
- proprietary TitanFlex foam to combat the quicksand feeling without sacrificing pressure relief;
- individually wrapped coils to reduce motion transfer;
- gel-infused foam for enhanced thermoregulation;
- extra-thick perimeter coils to achieve uniform support all across the surface;
- three firmness options to accommodate all sleeping styles.
Being among the best mattresses for sex, the Brooklyn Signature Hybrid can offer a bit more than responsive support. This model has extra-sturdy edges, which means the Signature Hybrid provides more space for couples to sleep and experiment during sex. I, for one, tried sleeping as close to the edge as I could and was surprised with the whole-body support I received. I did not feel like I would roll off at any point.
Another thing that makes the Brooklyn Signature Hybrid mattress stand out from the crowd is its proprietary TitanFlex foam. It is infused with the company’s unique gel to deliver a cooling effect. But I especially appreciate how this foam feels. It is adaptive and can help with proper pressure redistribution, allowing for fast relaxation. At the same time, this mattress’s comfort layers don’t feel enveloping (which is great for sex and switching positions easily).
- Combination sleepers. The Brooklyn Signature Hybrid has a somewhat springy feel. Therefore, it doesn’t restrict movement and makes it much easier for combo sleepers to switch positions.
- Couples who require more space. This model has sturdy edges that deliver reliable support. They can offer a bit more space without the need to upgrade to a larger mattress size.
- All sleep positions. The Signature Hybrid by Brooklyn bedding comes in three comfort variations. Therefore, this model can accommodate back, side, and stomach sleepers.
- some motion transfer is possible, making this mattress less than ideal for light sleepers;
- may not be hugging enough for petite side sleepers.
The Connection Between Mattress and Sex
You may think your sex life and your bed are not connected in any way.
But here’s what science says:
According to a 2015 study on young men, not getting enough sleep may lead to a decrease in testosterone (1). This, in turn, results in a reduced libido and low energy levels overall, which doesn’t sound like the best setting for a romantic night.
That’s why sleeping well is important. And you obviously need a good mattress to help you there. Aside from that, if you plan to use your bed for both sleep and sex, it should be suitable for both these activities too.
Some mattresses can enhance the experience; others can make sex challenging. It would depend on the materials used, the firmness of the bed, and a few other factors that this guide will cover below.
Which Mattress Type Is the Most Sex-Friendly?
Today, there are four main mattress types on the market: innerspring, hybrid, foam, and latex. While each of them certainly has it’s good points, not any mattress can be called sex-friendly.
And I will explain to you why right below.
- Innerspring. Innerspring mattresses are very bouncy, which may add some spice to your romantic activities. They also have sturdy edges, which is essential if you share a bed with someone. However, innerspring beds mostly feature solid steel units as the core layer, and these units are prone to squeaking, so you need to keep that in mind.
- Hybrid. In my opinion, if you need a really sex-friendly bed, there’s no better option than a hybrid mattress. The coil system or solid steel block can give you the right motion response, whereas the comfort layers above can ensure proper cradling and pressure relief. Hybrids are comfortable for both sex and sleep (2). However, the prices may vary significantly depending on the materials used. Also, like innersprings, hybrid beds might start to squeak over time, which can be pretty revealing.
- Foam. I include both memory foam and polyfoam in this category because they have very similar qualities when it comes to performance during sex. Foam mattresses typically have low motion transfer, which means little to no bounce. This can make shifting through different positions challenging. Still, there are models that respond to pressure pretty fast, so they don’t restrict your movements during sex and can still nicely hug you during sleep.
- Latex. A latex mattress can make a great sex-friendly bed. Being durable and bouncy, it can offer a good level of contouring without interfering with your position shifting. Also, latex can cool you down after a steamy night. The only drawback of latex beds is their price: you can hardly find a 100% latex mattress under $1,000.
What about futon mattresses, you may ask?
Well, they make an affordable mattress alternative for sleeping, but results may vary if you plan to use them as your lovemaking spot. Futons are pretty thin in most cases and do not have the firm core inside, which means that they won’t bounce back to your movements. However, if you manage to find a good futon frame, it may compensate for the lack of motion response and make your mattress more compatible with intimate activities.
Other Factors That Make a Good Mattress for Sex
So, you probably know that regular sex can improve your sleep.
And I believe that along with listening and communicating with your partner, getting a good mattress CAN help your love nights happen more frequently.
Below, you will find a small checklist that will help you get a perfect mattress by all means.
Everyone deserves getting comfy during and after sex, and the mattress size is a crucial factor for that. Typically, a Queen-sized mattress can accommodate two average sleepers without feeling crowded. But if you’re a large sleeper, you might need something bigger, such as a King-sized bed, to get that extra space.
Split King mattresses are gaining popularity as they allow sleepers to enjoy their individual spaces and comfort levels. However, this mattress size is not ideal for sex. Split models combine two smaller mattresses, which means there’s a gap in the middle. It may cause discomfort during sex. In this case, couples may want to add a gap filler designed for split beds to make the mattress’s surface more even.
Additionally, the two mattresses may shift during sex. Sleepers may want to use one large fitted sheet in this scenario to keep mattresses in place. Some couples also tie the two mattresses together in the middle. However, this option is not ideal, as the ropes may damage the materials and cause discomfort during sleep.
Living with roommates or kids often forces couples to be extra-careful and quiet during sex. Naturally, the mattress must help in this scenario instead of squeaking with every move. Memory foam and latex usually perform the best in this case. Hybrid mattresses may also do the trick, but they need to use individually wrapped coils for support.
Bounce is an essential characteristic of a sex-friendly bed. It needs to be noticeable so that the mattress can serve as a kind of amplifier to your rhythm. At the same time, if it’s too noticeable, it may disrupt your sleep for the rest of the night.
I recommend you choose hybrid and latex mattresses over the others. They have just the right amount of responsiveness and don’t feel too springy when you’re sleeping on them.
Alternatively, you may choose polyfoam mattresses made of dense open-cell foams, such as some models reviewed above. They typically are more spongy and don’t make you feel stuck in the layers.
When things get really hot, a decent sex-friendly mattress should be able to adjust to temperature fluctuations and maintain the optimal climate in your love nest.
The best candidates for that are natural and semi-natural materials, such as latex, plant-derived foams, cotton or Tencel cover fabrics, etc. Or, you may choose a mattress with a coil system that allows for better airflow between the layers.
Sturdy edges can give you and your partner more options (and might help you make your sex life more diverse and exciting). In most cases, innerspring and hybrid mattresses can offer the highest levels of edge support. Firmer foam and latex models might also be decent, but this comfort level may not work for all types of sleepers (for instance, lightweight users).
Okay, this might seem like a lot of info to digest. However, choosing a good mattress for sex is much easier than it may seem. Just follow my recommendations or simply point out the model that appeals to you the most among the five I’ve reviewed above — they’ve all passed my tests and offer great value for money.
As for my personal favorite, I would like to recommend the AS3 mattress by Amerisleep. This model combines all the best traits: bounce for sex, close conforming for sleep, and breathable open-cell structure for both. Additionally, it is sturdy and should serve you and your partner for years, offering reliable support and a safe sleeping environment (courtesy of the plant-based foam). All in all, this model is a real gem, and I’m sure you are going to love the AS3 just as much as I did.
What about you? What factors are essential for you when making a choice, and which model out of those above meets your definition of a sex-friendly mattress? Share your thoughts below!
- Rachel Leproult, PhD and Eve Van Cauter, PhD (2015, May 27). Effect of 1 Week of Sleep Restriction on Testosterone Levels in Young Healthy Men. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4445839/
- Megan Willet (2013, May 7). Sex On Memory Foam Feels Like 'Being Stuck In Quicksand,' Spring Mattress Maker Finds. Retrieved from https://www.businessinsider.com/couples-prefer-spring-mattresses-for-sex-2013-5
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted