This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More
So, the time for a King mattress has finally come!
Maybe you’ve moved into a bigger house or found that a Queen bed is not wide enough for you and your partner, who loves to sleep in a starfish position.
Whatever your motives are, you definitely want your new mattress to be perfect. And that’s where I come in with my reviews of 5 best King Size mattresses.
There’s a bonus below, too: a comprehensive buying guide that will help you make the right choice.
A Quick Preview
Best for Edge Support
|Shop Now on DreamCloudSleep.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best Value for Money
Nolah Original 10
|Shop Now on NolahMattress.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best for Pressure Relief
Cool Bliss by Plushbeds
|Shop Now on PlushBeds.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best Eco-Friendly Option
|Shop Now on AwaraSleep.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best Under $1,000
|Shop Now on NectarSleep.com|
Read more about this mattress
Our Reviews of 5 Best King Size Mattresses
Best for Edge Support - Dreamcloud
The Dreamcloud opens my selection of the best King size mattresses. This hybrid bed features an optimal level of firmness for almost any sleeper — medium. Along with that, the mattress has incredible edge support, so if you love snoozing closer to the side, this should be a perfect pick for you.
So, the edge support is ensured by a layer of individually wrapped coils, which also serves as the core supportive layer. Pocketed coils offer targeted contouring and remain sturdy and uniform no matter which sleeping position you choose.
If you’re concerned that a mattress will feel firm due to coils, don’t be. It’s actually pretty cushioning thanks to a pillow-top and two layers of soft, cradling foam underneath. These layers gently balance the rigidity of coils and offer you a soft hug and pressure relief.
Also, the hybrid construction means better airflow. The Dreamcloud sleeps cool, even though you may sink deeper into its comfort layers. The coil block promotes proper air circulation between the layers, allowing your body heat to dissipate during the night.
I really enjoyed sleeping on this mattress. It’s pretty cradling in all positions and offers you a uniform sleeping surface with strong edges.
- Couples. The Dreamcloud has good edge support, which is essential if you share a bed with someone. Also, foam layers above the coils mask motion, so the mattress won’t transfer sharp movements from one side of the bed to the other.
- Large sleepers. The sturdy coil base distributes your body weight evenly across the mattress surface and helps maintain the natural curve of your lumbar region.
- Hot sleepers. The coil block promotes good air circulation and helps withdraw your body heat, so you’ll sleep cooler.
- might not be firm enough for stomach sleepers or heavier users;
- very heavy and hard to move.
Best Value for Money - Nolah Original 10
Another top-rated King mattress on the market is the Nolah Original 10. This bed offers great value for money, combining quality components and offering good pressure relief.
Now, the Nolah is an all-foam mattress. The dense base layer offers sturdy support and measures 7 inches high. The 1-inch transition layer is almost latex-like, with a responsive bounce for a more balanced feel. And the comfort layer is 2 inches thick and uses Nolah’s AirFoam, which is temperature-neutral and cradling.
The cover deserves to be mentioned here as well. The Nolah uses 2 fabric types: viscose (in the original model) and Tencel (which is a limited edition the company currently sells). Both are breathable and contribute to the cooling properties of the top comfort layer.
All things considered, the Nolah Original 10 is a good choice for any value seeker. For quite a reasonable price, it will help you keep your spine aligned and muscles relaxed.
- Those who are looking for the right firmness. Two firmness layers in one mattress will make the choice of the right one much easier.
- Couples. The Nolah has surprisingly good edge support for a foam mattress, so you’ll have enough space to stretch if you share a bed with someone.
- Active sleepers. Incredibly low motion transfer of this mattress will ensure that you and your partner won’t disturb each other’s sleep while changing positions.
- Value seekers. If you don’t want to overpay for any bells and whistles and just want a good but affordable mattress to sleep well, the Nolah Original will make a good fit.
- slight off-gassing may be present upon arrival;
- won’t suit those who want a firm feel.
Best for Pressure Relief - Cool Bliss by Plushbeds
Memory foam beds are unbeatable when it comes to pressure relief and relaxation. The Cool Bliss is no exception: this mattress feels like a cloud and hugs your body in any sleeping position, thereby ensuring heavenly sleep. I think this is enough to put it in my review of the best King size mattresses.
Thanks to the foam construction, this mattress will not only adjust to your body curves and keep the spine aligned but also absorb sharp movements you or your partner might make during the night. Since King beds are typically an investment for couples, good motion absorption will definitely be a plus, especially if one of the partners is a restless sleeper.
The mattress has a medium feel, which will work great for solid side and back sleepers or those who switch between these two positions.Along with that, the Cool Bliss, as the name implies, sleeps cool and excels at withdrawing your body heat. Gel-infused memory foam, natural latex, and convoluted foam are responsible for that, and I’m impressed with how great this trio works!
- People suffering from back pain. Even a regular office worker may develop stiffness in the back. The Cool Bliss will help you get the relaxation and relief you need.
- Hot sleepers. The Cool Bliss, although featuring a few layers of memory foam, doesn’t sleep hot, so it can make a good pick for hot sleepers or those who live in hot climates.
- Mixed sleepers. Medium feel might work pretty well for all sleep positions, but those who switch between multiple positions at night will benefit from this mattress the most.
- mediocre edge support;
- may be too soft for heavier sleepers.
Best Eco-Friendly Option - Awara Sleep
If you are looking for a safe, eco-friendly bed, then you will like this part of my review of the best King-sized mattresses. The Awara Sleep uses natural materials and combines them effectively to deliver comfort and support.
Now, the base layer is made of pocketed coils. They provide sturdy support and contribute to proper air circulation. Additionally, such a construction makes the edges stronger, which is ideal for couples.
As for the comfort layer, it uses natural Dunlop latex. Being 4 inches thick, it provides a good level of pressure relief without letting you sink in deeply. As latex is quite bouncy, the Awara Sleep has a fast response and makes shifting and moving in bed much easier.
To be honest, this mattress impressed me with its build and quality components. It might not work for everyone due to its bouncy feel, but the Awara Sleep is one of the most comfortable eco-friendly mattresses you can find on the market.
- Heavier users. As this is a medium-firm mattress with a sturdy coil base, it can effectively support heavier individuals.
- Eco-conscious people. Using natural latex, wool, and cotton, the Awara Sleep is one of the safest options you can come across.
- Couples. Offering a bouncy response and strong edges, this mattress is great for partnered sleep and sex.
- the bouncy feel might not be suitable for those who are used to memory foam;
- may be too stiff for lightweight individuals;
- heavy and hard to move;
- not the best at motion isolation, so it might not work for sensitive sleepers;
Best Under $1,000 - Nectar
Finding an affordable King bed might be really hard sometimes, as this size is typically the most expensive. That’s why I’ve included the Nectar in my review of the best King size mattresses.
This is a memory foam mattress with a medium feel, so it could make a great pick for side and back sleepers. Also, memory foam can absorb motion very well, which is a plus for couples or restless sleepers.
Those who suffer from different kinds of pain will also benefit from the Nectar. The layer of gel-infused memory foam offers a great amount of contouring without trapping too much heat. So, you can expect a refreshing sleep without tension and stiffness.
Speaking of edge support, the Nectar has surprisingly sturdy edges and offers a uniform surface. This might be an advantage if you share a bed with someone or just love sleeping closer to the edge.
I can easily recommend the Nectar as an affordable mattress that is no worse than more expensive brands. It can satisfy most types of sleepers, offering a cool and peaceful slumber.
- Couples. The Nectar combines decent edge support and low motion transfer, so those who share a bed with someone will get uninterrupted. sleep.
- People on a budget. A tight budget doesn’t mean that you have to choose a low-quality bed. The Nectar performs no worse than high-end mattresses but won’t burn a hole in your pocket.
- Fans of the foam feel. Some people love it when the mattress makes them sink a bit into its layers. If this is your case, don’t hesitate to pick the Nectar.
- may sleep hot, especially for heavier individuals that sink a bit deeper;
- might seem too hard for people under 150 pounds;
- some odor is possible after unpacking.
How Did King Size Beds Appear on the Market?
Before we dive into details, let me allocate one paragraph of my King mattress review to a brief historical reference on how King beds actually appeared.
Because it’s quite interesting.
Until the late 1950s, there were two most common bed sizes on the market: Twin and Full. The Hollywood shows and movies of that era projected strict views on intimate relationships, which dictated that it was normal for married couples to sleep in separate beds.
Ironically, a couple of years later, the same Hollywood shows and movies that portrayed the life of the rich changed the game completely.
The image of a luxurious bedroom with a huge bed tucked with silk sheets slowly transferred from the screens to the minds of regular users. This resulted in increased demand for larger beds, with the following introduction of Queen and King-sized beds to the market. The companies that pioneered in making these sizes were Sealy and Simmons (the latter also introduced the California King mattress a couple of years later).
Fun fact: Some historians suggest that the very first King bed was invented around the 1890s and was enormously huge compared to the modern King mattresses. It could easily accommodate up to 15 people (1). Imagine the size of the room you’d need to fit this bed!
Benefits of Having a King-Sized Mattress
Now, let’s outline how a good King-sized mattress can change your sleeping routine so that you make sure you’ve picked the right size:
- More space. Obviously, you’ll have more personal space on a King mattress. This will help you get cozier and find a comfortable position to drift off more easily. Along with that, if you allow your pets to sleep on the bed — or, if you occasionally co-sleep with your kid — a few extra inches of space will also be beneficial.
- Better support. The bigger area of a King-sized mattress allows for more even weight distribution. For example, if your partner is a large sleeper, you won’t feel how deep he dives into the mattress layers and your sleep will be uninterrupted.
- Lower motion transfer. Due to the larger area, King mattresses also muffle sharp movements more efficiently than Queen ones. This might be an advantage for restless sleepers and their partners.
- Healthier sleep. Overall, by having more room to move and get comfy, you can easily improve your sleep quality and even alleviate your sleep disturbances (assuming they were caused by a lack of space).
Aside from all of that, it would be unfair not to mention how luxurious a King mattress looks in a master bedroom. If you choose a high-profile bed and properly decorate it, you can easily turn your bedroom into the royal chambers.
Important Checks to Make Before Choosing a King Size Mattress for Your Bedroom
Finally, I want to briefly walk you through the little yet important details you need to consider if you want to choose the best King mattress on the market.
Here they are.
A large mattress requires a lot of space to fit in properly. A King bed measures roughly 6 x 6.8 feet, and you need at least 2 feet more on each side to be able to get in and out of bed comfortably.
Add to this how much the pieces of furniture, such as nightstands and drawers, and the space between them will take — and you will see that not every room will be able to accommodate a King mattress.
I recommend that you opt for this size only if your bedroom measures at least 13 x 13 feet (2). In this case, you can comfortably lay out your King mattress along with the rest of the furniture, without making a room look crowded.
Also, be attentive when making a purchase. Make sure you’re buying a standard King (which measures 76 x 80 inches) and not the wider Cal King (which is 72 x 84 inches) (3).
Bed-in-a-Box or Regular Mattress?
Another problematic moment with King mattresses is their weight and bulkiness, which can make transportation difficult. Especially if you choose brands like Saatva, who don’t ship their products compressed in a box. In a house with narrow staircases, with a bedroom located on the second floor, mattress delivery can turn into a challenge.
So, a bed-in-a-box might be a more suitable option here. However, compressed mattresses might not always expand completely, especially the cheaper ones. This may result in insufficient support and decreased durability.
Read user reviews and choose trusted brands with a good history and reputation on the market. Also, steer clear of suspiciously low prices.
Alternatively, you may consider ordering a Split King configuration. This way your mattress will arrive as two separate halves. Moreover, you may be able to customize each half prior to purchasing.
How Will You Use It?
Your lifestyle may also impact mattress characteristics.
For example, if you and your partner live minimalist lives, you may not need to overpay for a luxurious King mattress. A medium-priced bed without any bells and whistles can work fine for you.
Keep in mind that as many as 21% of King mattresses range between $600 and $899, according to the statistics in 2016 (4). This means there are many decent models even for a more modest budget.
If your pets sleep with you, then you might need something more durable and resistant to their claws. In this case, investing in a mattress with a removable and washable cover is a good idea. Also, make sure your mattress is made of heavy-duty materials.
Warranty and Returns
Since King mattresses are the priciest option on the market, it’s totally okay to want some funds protection. Choose companies offering sleep trial. In this case, if your new mattress appears unsuitable for your needs after the break-in period, you can just fill in the return claim and get your money back.
Also, learn about warranty conditions. Most mattress brands offer you a refund or replacement in the case of craftsmanship defects, but it’s always better to double-check.
Note that any spills and stains on your mattress will void the warranty, so it’s better to purchase a waterproof protector along with the mattress.
How to get a King-size mattress upstairs?
Most mattresses are shipped vacuum-sealed in a box, so you just need to carry it upstairs and unbox it right in your bedroom. If your King mattress is delivered in its full size, you should measure the passages and staircases to make sure it will fit through.
How much does a King mattress weigh?
Depending on the materials used, a King bed may weigh from 100 to 180 pounds. But the thinner it is, the less it will weigh.
How to dispose of your old King-size mattress?
Many mattress companies offer free mattress removal when you purchase a new bed from them. You can also donate it to your local charity or contact a recycling facility in your area.
King mattresses are popular for a reason. They give you more space to stretch, which is especially important if you share a bed with someone who sleeps in a starfish position. I’ve collected five models that can please even the pickiest sleepers. They have excellent value for money and can offer you great support and serve for years to come.
My personal favorite is the Dreamcloud, and there are many reasons for that.
First of all, this mattress offers almost universal comfort thanks to its balanced medium feel. It has strong edges and can effectively support both you and your partner, helping you maintain proper spinal alignment during the night. Plus, it doesn’t sleep hot, which is always a huge bonus!
But don’t forget to measure your room before purchasing your new King-size mattress, to make sure it will fit well. And always double-check the warranty to protect your investment. After all, it’s supposed to serve you long.
So, why are you considering getting a King-sized bed? Does any model of those above seem suitable for you? You’re welcome to share in the comments below!
- Lee Suckling (2016, November 29). How have bed sizes changed throughout the ages? Why has the double died? Retrieved from https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/teach-me/86945440/how-have-bed-sizes-changed-throughout-the-ages-why-has-the-double-died
- Michelle Miley (2017, September 19). The Minimum Room Size for a King-Size Bed. Retrieved from https://www.hunker.com/13412553/the-minimum-room-size-for-a-king-size-bed
- Michelle Radcliff (n.d.). How to Choose the Best King Size Mattress. Retrieved from https://homeguides.sfgate.com/choose-king-size-mattress-38615.html
- Liam O'Connell (2018, November 13). Share of king-size mattresses purchased in the United States in 2016, by price. Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/884507/share-of-king-size-mattresses-purchased-by-price-us/
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted