Full beds are incredibly underestimated, in my opinion.
They are no worse in terms of support and can easily accommodate two average adult sleepers, just like a Queen bed would.
In fact, for some people, a Full bed is the only choice they have. If that’s your case, you should know how to choose the right one.
Thankfully, I did the dirty job for you. And after thorough testing, I’m ready to share my reviews of 5 best Full mattresses. Hopefully, you’ll find a perfect fit for you among them.
A Quick Preview
Best for Natural Materials
|Shop Now on AvocadoGreenMattress.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best for Edge Support
|Shop Now on Saatva.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best for Contouring
|Shop Now on NolahMattress.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best for Firmness Variety
|Shop Now on WinkBeds.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best for Cool Sleep
Cool Bliss by Plushbeds
|Shop Now on PlushBeds.com|
Read more about this mattress
Our Reviews of 5 Best Full Size Mattresses on the Market
Best for Natural Materials - Avocado
I would like to open my review of the best Full size mattresses with the model by Avocado. The manufacturer tries to reduce the ecological footprint by choosing natural and renewable materials and eliminating adhesives in the construction. And this results in an awesome mattress that will serve both you and the environment.
The Avocado has two configurations. The default one can offer you a comfy yet firm feel with a moderate give. And if you want something softer, you can always choose a model with an additional pillow-top made of Dunlop latex, for a medium feel.
The prominent feature of this bed is great edge support. The upcycled steel coil unit ensures that you can utilize the whole mattress surface, which is especially important if you share a bed with someone.
Despite the firm feel, the default option of the Avocado can offer you decent pressure relief thanks to the conforming Dunlop latex layer. It will adjust to your body curves but won’t limit your movements, so you can freely shift into any position.
Overall, I loved the Avocado bed. It’s very supportive and has an anti-sagging design, so it will serve you for years.
- Eco-enthusiasts. The Avocado has probably the least negative impact on the ecology among the mattress brands. It’s made of renewable materials and doesn’t contain harsh volatile compounds. The manufacturer doesn’t even use adhesives and replaces them with a traditional hand-tufting technique to hold the mattress layers together.
- Heavy sleepers. The solid coil unit can support large weight and evenly distribute it on the mattress surface, promoting proper spine alignment.
- Hot sleepers. Natural latex and steel coils ensure great air circulation within the mattress and help you sleep cool.
Best for Edge Support - Saatva
When you’re choosing a Full mattress for a couple, you surely want to utilize its entire surface, so the proper edge support is a crucial thing. And this is why I’ve placed the Saatva in my review of the best Full size mattresses — the construction of this bed can guarantee you the sturdiest edges ever!
Strong edge support is possible due to the ‘coil-on-coil’ construction. The layer of pocketed springs ensures that your spine will be properly aligned in any position and adds a bit of bounce for easily moving around the surface. The steel coil unit underneath it enhances the supportive properties, durability, and good edge support. Besides, the mattress has a reinforced foam perimeter for even stronger edges.
The Saatva comes in three firmness levels — Soft, Medium, and Firm. But note that even the softest option may feel a bit on the firmer side because coils tend to add some rigidity.
Speaking of temperature regulation, the Saatva is great. Even though a pillow-top layer is pretty cradling, the spring core allows for good airflow between the layers and keeps you cool.
The Saatva may make a great purchase for the fans of the firm feel or those who are looking for a uniform bed with sturdy edges.
- Large users. Thanks to the coils, the Saatva is less prone to sagging under larger weight, so it can properly support and cradle heavier sleepers.
- Couples. Strong edges ensure that you will use the whole mattress surface so that each partner will get more space for sleeping.
- Individuals with aches and pains. The sewn-in lumbar pad will conform to your lower back and may help relieve pain.
Best for Contouring - Nolah 12”
The next candidate in my review of the best Full size mattresses is the Nolah. This 12-inch thick mattress will be a perfect fit if you want the hugging foam feel.
The Nolah is flippable, with one side being firm and the other being soft. I tried both of them during testing and found that each one has great contouring properties and can support your spine.
Also, I’d like to mention great motion-absorbing properties. The all-foam construction allows the Nolah to mask your partner’s movements without disrupting your sleep, so it will be a great pick for those who share a bed with an active sleeper.The manufacturer uses its proprietary materials — the patented Nolah AirFoam has an open-cell structure and traps less heat than traditional foam. This results in temperature neutrality and a more refreshing sleeping experience.
- Fans of the foam feel. Both sides of the Nolah offer some amount of sinkage and have that typical hugging feel. If that’s what you love, this mattress will work for you.
- Hot sleepers. The open-cell AirFoam retains less heat than traditional foam and will promote cooler shut-eye.
- People with aches and pains. The Nolah molds to your body very closely, no matter which side you choose. It will support natural spine alignment and relieve the pain.
Best for Firmness Variety - Winkbed
Firmness is one of the essential factors to consider when shopping for a mattress. But while reviewing the best Full size mattresses, I’ve noticed that not so many brands can offer you a wide choice of firmness levels. That’s where the Winkbed comes in. This mattress has four firmness levels, with one being specifically designed for heavy users. But that’s not the only reason why it’s on my list.
This hybrid mattress offers a uniform and sturdy surface. But what’s even more interesting is that the construction is different depending on the firmness level. Yet, whichever firmness you choose, the mattress can still ensure proper spine support.
The Firm Plus option — the one which is for heavy sleepers — features a zoned latex layer for better pressure relief in the lower back area. The models from Soft to Firm can offer you a zoned coil system that adjusts to your body curves more precisely and supports the spine alignment.
The motion response of the mattress is pretty balanced. The Winkbed isn’t too bouncy yet you can easily switch positions throughout the night. One more thing to note is that the mattress sleeps cool.
I can easily recommend the Winkbed to those who need a mattress with enhanced lumbar spine support and love a moderate bounce instead of that hugging memory foam feel.
- Heavy sleepers. The Winkbed has a Firm Plus option that excels at supporting large weight and offers precise cradling for your hip and lower back areas.
- Hot sleepers. Hybrid beds are more breathable due to the coils, so if you’re struggling with hot sleeping, the Winkbed can help you deal with that.
- Couples. The Winkbed offers you sturdy edges and a balanced motion response, which makes it great for both sleeping and romantic activities.
Best for Cool Sleep - Cool Bliss by Plushbeds
And the last option on my list of highly rated Full size mattresses is dedicated to all hot sleepers out there. The Cool Bliss literally stands for its name, offering you blissful sleep on a soothing foam cloud.
So, the pronounced cooling properties are a result of a thoughtful combo of materials. A layer of gel-infused memory foam effectively withdraws heat from your body. At the same time, this material has a great hug and can cradle your protruding parts in any position, effectively relieving pressure.
The layers of natural latex and convoluted foam enhance the air circulation inside the mattress and prevent moisture accumulation, thereby prolonging the lifespan of the bed.
Now, the Cool Bliss has Medium to Medium-firm feel and can be a good pick for side or back sleepers.As with all memory foam beds, you can expect great shock-absorbing properties from the Cool Bliss. The mattress is good for active sleepers and their partners, offering both an uninterrupted sleep.
- Hot sleepers. A combo of materials with great cooling properties results in the mattress that can help even the chronic sleepers get a more refreshing and cool slumber.
- Back pain sufferers. The Cool Bliss can closely mold to your body and relax the deep spine muscles, thereby relieving the pain.
- Side and back sleepers. The Cool Bliss can easily relieve pressure in your pressure points and support the natural spine alignment.
A Brief Word About Full Beds: History and Features
I personally love exploring how certain things have become a natural part of our daily lives — and I thought this might be of interest to you as well — which is why I’m going to share a short historical reference about Full size mattresses.
Today, Full is often confused with Queen – some people even call it ‘mini-Queen’ because of visual similarity.
But here’s the truth:
A Full size mattress measures 53 x 75 inches and is smaller than Queen, which is 60 x 80 inches.
There’s also a Full XL mattress, which measures 53 x 80 inches and makes a good pick for taller individuals, who need some extra space for their legs. However, it’s not a popular size on the market, so you may have difficulties finding it, as well as bedding accessories for it.
Today, Full mattresses are typically a go-to option for:
- teenager bedrooms;
- low-cost hostel or hotel rooms;
- guest rooms.
Who Will Benefit the Most from Using a Full Size Bed?
Every mattress size is manufactured with a certain audience in mind; this is why there’s no universal mattress for everyone.
And if you’re considering getting a Full mattress as your next sleeping surface, you probably want to make sure this is the right size.
Let’s see in which scenarios Full will be the perfect pick:
- Small bedrooms or studio apartments. Even though Full beds are often confused with Queens, the difference in their dimensions may play a major role for those who live in a small apartment or have a small bedroom.
- Petite sleepers. If you and your partner aren’t taller than 5’5”, you’ll likely feel comfortable on a Full mattress even if you love to stretch during sleep. But if you are, you should consider getting Queen or even King.
- Guest rooms. A Full mattress can easily accommodate two adult sleepers, and it’s more comfortable than your sofa in the living room.
- Those with a limited budget. If you compare two sizes of the same model, Full will always be a more affordable alternative to Queen. So, if you’re a couple who is tight on a budget, it’s more advisable to go for a Full size: it will be able to give you the minimum required comfort.
Things You Need to Know When Shopping for a Full Mattress
To choose the best Full mattress, you need to look at a lot of models and compare their numerous specs.
I’ll list the main factors that could make or break your new purchase below.
If you’re choosing a Full mattress for you and your partner, keep in mind that Full is a bit narrower than Queen.
What does this mean in terms of thermoregulation?
Well, this means you and your partner will be sleeping closer to each other and will exchange more heat. In case you or your bedmate are prone to hot sleeping, this may lead to disrupted sleep for both of you.
Another essential thing to look for is edge support. This is dictated by the smaller surface area that makes every inch of the space essential for the comfort of both partners.
Mattresses with a reinforced perimeter can help you get comfy even if your partner sleeps in the starfish position. Models with coils — especially if they feature a solid steel coil unit — typically have the sturdiest edges. However, if you’re not a fan of springs, you can choose a mattress made of denser foam and pair it with a supportive bed base to create a more uniform surface.
Motion transfer is a determining factor for couples. Those who want to go with a Full mattress should give it even more attention.
As mentioned above, Full mattresses have a smaller area, so you will more likely feel your partner’s movement across the bed.
Foam mattresses typically absorb movements better, so they are the most preferred option for couples.
Hybrid and latex mattresses are initially more bouncy. While this may be a benefit for couples with active sex life, sleeping on this mattress might be disruptive for sensitive sleepers.
The average mattress lifespan varies between 7 and 10 years, during which your bed will likely offer good spine support and decent cradling. But some mattresses don’t live up to this age. To make sure it won’t be true for your new mattress, choose models made of heavy-duty materials, such as:
- Dense foam. Memory foam density is measured in pounds per cubic foot. Look for a rating of 4 and higher for medium and high density. If you choose a polyfoam mattress, look for numbers like 1.8 pounds per cubic foot for medium-grade foams and 2.5 pounds per cubic foot for high-quality foams.
- Steel coils. The coil gauge is the main characteristic that will impact how well and how long the coils will remain supportive. Aim for the coil gauge of 12 to 15. Keep in mind that a lower number indicates a thicker steel wire (and hence, a more durable construction).
- Cover materials. A cover protects the mattress layers from dust, debris, and moisture, which all can adversely affect durability. Natural materials are always the best choice, as they let the air circulate. Also, you should check for the weave: it should be tight enough to prevent tears and ripples.
The Full size may not be the universal solution for everyone, but it definitely can become a lifesaver for those who lack room space or are tight on a budget. Although I genuinely believe that each of the models in this review can make a decent purchase for those who want a good Full size mattress, my favorite among them is the Avocado. This eco-friendly hybrid bed combines great contouring properties, durability, and temperature-neutral design. Along with that, it has no potential allergens, so it can suit even the most sensitive sleepers. If you don’t feel like you want a bed with coils, try the Cool Bliss. This mattress uses both foam and latex. It offers great motion absorption and decent edge support, so it will make a great pick for couples. Plus, the Cool Bliss sleeps really cool. What specs do matter to you the most when choosing a Full mattress? Which model among the five meets? Share your thoughts below!
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted
This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More