A mattress should be supportive and able to adapt to your body.
But when you don’t get either from your bed, sleeping becomes a problem. Your nights get shorter, and you risk waking up with body aches.
Getting a great mattress can be the simplest solution here.
But how do you get a great mattress without breaking the bank? In today’s post, I will give you some shopping tips and share our reviews of 5 best cheap mattresses that will guarantee sound sleep like no other.
A Quick Preview
Best Mattress for Back Pain
|Shop Now on NectarSleep.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best Cheap Mattress in A Box
|Shop Now on ZomaSleep.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best Cheap Memory Foam Mattress
Green Tea by Zinus
|Shop Now on Zinus.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best for Pressure Relief
Brooklyn Bowery by Brooklyn Bedding
|Shop Now on BrooklynBedding.com|
Read more about this mattress
Best Cheap Latex Mattress
ASPEN by Dreamfoam Bedding
|Shop Now on DreamfoamBedding.com|
Read more about this mattress
Our Reviews of 5 Best Cheap Mattresses
Best Budget Mattress for Back Pain - Nectar
The first on our list of the best value mattresses is the Nectar. Just like the title suggests, this model will work great for users who have back pain issues, because of how conforming and contouring it is.
The Nectar, unlike many memory foam models, does not make you feel stuck in your bed. Thanks to the dense foam base, it is highly effective with proper spine alignment. The top memory foam layers ensure the mattress molds to your body within a matter of seconds, allowing for equal distribution of your body weight. The surface of the bed feels cool and nice to the skin, thanks to the Tencel cover.
Overall, it’s one of the best low-cost beds for people who appreciate the contouring properties of memory foam but tend to sleep cool on regular memory foam. With this mattress, your spine will be in proper alignment without pressure points. And the gel infusion will allow you to stay cool all through the night.
- Active sleepers and their partners. Low motion transfer of the Nectar mattress helps you sleep without any interruptions if you or your bedmate tosses and turns often.
- Back pain sufferers. Awesome cradling properties of this memory foam mattress ensure that your spine will be aligned and relaxed in any position you choose, which may help you reduce pain.
- Hot sleepers. Unlike many memory foam mattresses, the Nectar sleeps cool due to the gel-infused foam layer and Tencel cover.
- may need a sturdier bed foundation to ensure uniform support;
- might have slight off-gassing during the first couple of nights.
Best Cheap Mattress in A Box - Zoma
When you have a really limited budget, you may think that you can only choose among low-quality beds with a mediocre lifespan. The Zoma mattress, however, can easily prove you wrong, as it’s made of quality materials and can easily withstand years of active use without sacrificing comfort. This is a great reason to include it in my review of the best cheap mattresses.
If we take a closer look, we’ll see that the Zoma offers a basic construction with a couple of unexpected twists. First, there goes a zoned comfort layer designed to properly position your body on the mattress and promote healthy spinal alignment regardless of your sleeping style.
The great motion absorption and that familiar cradling feel are the results of the responsive transition layer made of the Reactiv foam. It has some bounce to it and can closely conform to major pressure points, offering you the desired relief.
The overall construction also works great to remove excessive heat. The Zoma is made of temperature-neutral materials that don’t retain your body warmth. Plus, the perforated cover enhances air circulation within the mattress layers and helps you deal with sweating.
All things considered, I was impressed to find the Zoma in the budget-friendly category. It can easily outscore more expensive models in performance and deliver to you a restoring and peaceful sleep.
- Those who appreciate good cradling. The zoned comfort layer and pretty responsive transition layer are united to deliver to you that familiar hugging feel without trapping your movements.
- Individuals with a demanding lifestyle. Once you lie on the Zoma, you’ll instantly doze off. This mattress feels like a cradle and relaxes your muscles, so your sleep will be deep and uninterrupted.
- Active sleepers and their partners. The Zoma comes with good motion isolation, so even if you share a bed with a restless sleeper, you can still get a sound sleep for yourself.
- the mattress might need a good bed foundation to compensate for weak edges;
- may take some time to properly expand.
Best Cheap Memory Foam Mattress - Green Tea by Zinus
The next model on today’s list of the best value mattresses is the Green Tea memory foam model by Zinus. It has great pressure relieving properties and offers that generous amount of sinkage typical of memory foam beds.
This Zinus mattress is specially infused with natural green tea extracts and charcoal to preserve its freshness. These substances help draw the moisture away and reduce the growth of bacteria.
Now, this model has four layers. The top memory foam is effective when it comes to relieving the body’s pressure points, and the high-density polyfoam layers below ensure excellent spine alignment and equal support for different body parts. I was testing the 12-inch option, but you can choose other configurations that might match your sleeping position and preferences more closely.
The Zinus Green Tea happens to be one of the cheapest memory foam mattresses on the market, with all the qualities for a sound sleep. With various configurations available, it will work well for all kinds of sleepers who love the cradling feel of all-foam mattresses. Plus, it’s an ideal choice for people with a sensitive nose (due to the green tea infusion).
- Fans of the memory foam feel. The Zinus can gently hug all your pressure points while remaining supportive for your spine.
- Sensitive sleepers. The subtle green tea scent masks the typical foam odor pretty well and may help people with a sensitive nose sleep without discomfort.
- Petite sleepers. The hug that the Zinus gives is perfect for lightweight side sleepers to relax muscles in their hips and shoulders.
- might make you feel trapped, which makes switching positions difficult;
- might not suit stomach sleepers because of the softness level.
Best for Pressure Relief - Brooklyn Bowery by Brooklyn Bedding
The next model on today’s list of the top-rated inexpensive beds is the Brooklyn Bowery mattress by Brooklyn Bedding. Being made of quality materials and offering a balanced feel, this model is here thanks to the value for money it has.
This inexpensive mattress works ideally for sound sleep due to its medium firmness. This is an excellent pick if you have back or neck pain, as the mattress will hug your body and remove your pressure points as soon as you lay your head on it. At the same time, this model uses Energex foam, which apart from decent pressure relief, offers a more bouncy feel and improved breathability. The cover is made of premium soft weave to let the air in and keep you cool during the night.
Overall, the Brooklyn Bowery is a very comfortable mattress in every aspect. (Top 10 most comfortable mattresses you can find here) It’s a more responsive and more breathable alternative for memory foam fans. Plus, it performs equally well in all sleeping positions.
- Individuals with pain issues. The Brooklyn Bowery features proprietary foams with great cradling and pressure-relieving effects, so it can support your spine and help alleviate pain.
- Mixed sleepers. Medium is an optimal firmness level for those who shift between different positions during sleep.
- Couples. The Brooklyn Bowery has incredibly low motion transfer due to the foam construction. It can be a perfect pick for those who share a bed with a restless sleeper.
- because of the proprietary materials, it’s hard to predict the durability;
- might not work for heavy users.
Best Cheap Latex Mattress - ASPEN by Dreamfoam Bedding
The Aspen by Dreamfoam is one of the best budget mattresses offering more than just a low price tag. It made it to our list because of how breathable, natural, and safe it is.
It’s worthy of note that the manufacturer is advertising this model as “latex mattress” (and hence the title “best cheap latex mattress”). In reality, though, it is constructed with both foam and latex layers, meaning it’s a hybrid.
This mattress is naturally very breathable and cooling thanks to the convoluted foam base and Talalay latex that work together to promote airflow inside the layers and save you from sweaty nights. The quilted cover gives the mattress a premium, plush feel to the skin. But the overall feel is pretty balanced, allowing for decent sinkage but remaining very resilient at the same time.
There are three firmness options available, which can satisfy the needs of most users. I find this model perfectly suitable for people who don’t want to pay a thousand or two bucks to get a luxurious latex bed.
- Hot sleepers. The combo of a convoluted foam base and natural latex results in a cooling effect and hence, a deeper sleep.
- Allergy sufferers. Since latex is hypoallergenic and immune to mold and dust mites, it can serve you for a longer time without provoking allergy episodes.
- Mixed sleepers. Latex has a quicker response than memory foam and doesn’t interfere with your position shifting during the night.
- strict back or stomach sleepers might feel too much sinkage on this mattress;
- subpar edge support.
How Important Is a Good Night’s Sleep?
Getting quality sleep is one of the keys to leading a healthy life.
The National Sleep Foundation (NSF) recommends getting between seven and nine hours of sleep for adults (1).
Even though not all adults adhere to this amount of recommended sleep time, many do manage to get some decent sleep thanks to the comfortability of their bed.
For most adults with stressful jobs, the thought of getting rest as soon as they come home keeps them going during the day. So, you can understand the vitality of having all the tools available for a good night’s sleep, like a good mattress.
Now, when your mattress prevents you from getting enough of quality sleep, you risk having issues with:
- Alertness. A good sleep enables your mind to regain focus, drive creativity, and even tackle complex mental challenges.
- Fighting infection. Sleep is your body’s mechanism for fighting off infections. When you don’t get enough of it, your immune system weakens and makes you vulnerable to sickness.
- Energy. After a healthy night rest, your energy level increases and your mental alertness sharpens. Plus, you get improved athletic performance, e.g. increased speed, agility, and reflexes.
- Memory. Sleeping is a critical time for shaping memories and bridging the gap between past events, feelings, and occurrences. In fact, sleep is fundamental to developing memory pathways in the brain.
- Regeneration. During sleep, your body repairs damages caused by stress, ultraviolet rays, muscle injuries, and sometimes traumas.
So, you not only lose out on the benefits of sleep but also become defenseless to some health hazards.
Research shows that people who experience sleep deprivation are lacking either one or all of these factors:
- a quiet and dark room;
- a supportive mattress;
- a cool room temperature (2).
None of these may apply to you, but one cannot deny the importance of the mattress quality when it comes to the quality of sleep you get.
Mahatma Gandhi once said that each night, when he goes to sleep, he dies. And the next morning, he feels like a newborn when he wakes up.
Yes, this is what a good bed does to you. Not that you will die, but that you will get relieved of stress and drift off in oblivion on the comfort of a cozy bed.
What Makes a Good Budget Mattress
I bet we can all agree that good mattresses are often expensive. So, finding the right one at an affordable price is golden.
For those who are contemplating buying a new mattress, starting with planning a budget might be a sensible thing to do. But let me clear one thing up:
Budgeting doesn’t immediately mean lowering your standards for the cheapest product.
It merely means planning your finances appropriately to afford a new bed.
So, before you go shopping for just any kind of low-cost mattress, let’s take a look at some of the qualities a great mattress must have. Generally, it should:
- Provide comfort. The level of firmness of your bed is very crucial. Your sleeping position affects how firm you need your bed to be. You want to avoid beds that are either too soft or too hard. Both are not ideal for a decent sleep.
- Be supportive. It is important to go with a mattress that ensures even distribution of your weight and supports all parts of your body equally well. The last thing you need is a bed that feels saggy or allows too much sinkage, as this means constantly waking to backaches.
- Be suitable personally for you. A good affordable mattress should cater to your individual needs. For instance, if you are a couple, you want to enjoy lying next to your partner without being constantly woken at their every toss and turn. So, you definitely want a bed that can absorb noise and isolate motion, etc. In the same manner, if you are a hot sleeper, then it is ideal to get a mattress that withdraws body heat.
- Stay within budget. You want to make sure that you are not overpaying for the features you possibly don’t need. Therefore, look for the models that offer good value for the money.
Potential Risks Involved with Having a Cheap Mattress
Just like with most low-cost products, a budget mattress might come with certain negative issues. Knowing them will give you a leg-up in case of surprises.
- lower-quality materials (hence, shorter lifespan);
- safety issues;
- quicker wear out (hence, extra expenses for repair or replacement);
- sooner sagging and loss of comfort levels;
- shorter warranty coverage.
These can be especially true for the imported mattresses that aren’t manufactured by US standards. They may use different chemicals to produce their foams, which may take a toll on your health in the long run (3).
Thus, when researching available options, it makes sense to pay attention to mattress reviews that describe how this or that model performs in terms of the aforementioned aspects.
How to make a cheap mattress more comfortable?
The easiest way to enhance the comfort of a cheap mattress is to invest in a mattress topper. You can choose the needed thickness and firmness level and alter the feel of your bed to make it more comfortable.
How long does a cheap mattress last?
Typically, the lifespan of a cheap mattress will be at least 2-3 years shorter than that of a mid-priced one. However, you can still make the most of your bed if you take proper care for it (clean, rotate, use a protector on it, etc.)
How much is a cheap mattress?
Generally, any model under $1,000 is considered affordable. But if you search thoroughly, you can find a decent mattress even under $150.
The modern market allows you to easily find a mattress for any budget. And some beds, including those reviewed above, will offer you almost the same level of support as some higher-end brands.
The main recommendation when buying a cheaper mattress is to be careful and go for options with a trial period. Also, choose brands with some history on the market, real user reviews, and trusted certifications — in this case, you’ll decrease the chances of disappointment.
Speaking of my favorite among the cheap mattresses, it’s the Nectar. I love that this bed delivers that familiar memory foam feel, which relaxes your body and sets you to sleep. Along with that, the Nectar doesn’t sleep hot and is durable enough to serve you for years.
Which of these low-cost mattresses appealed to you the most? Do you believe that a low price doesn’t always mean worse quality? You’re welcome to share your thoughts in the comment section below!
- The National Sleep Foundation (n.d.). National Sleep Foundation Recommends New Sleep Times. Retrieved from https://www.sleepfoundation.org/press-release/national-sleep-foundation-recommends-new-sleep-times
- Infographic: 10 Reasons You’re Getting Poor Sleep (2015, January 13). Retrieved from https://share.upmc.com/2015/01/infographic-10-reasons-youre-getting-poor-sleep/
- Sean Mallon (2019, March 19). What Are the Health Risks of Low-Quality Memory Foam Mattresses? Retrieved from https://www.healthworkscollective.com/what-are-health-risks-of-low-quality-memory-foam-mattresses/
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted
This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More