A mattress should be supportive and able to adapt to your body.
But when you don’t get either from your bed, sleeping becomes a problem. Your nights get shorter, and you risk waking up with body aches.
Getting a great mattress can be the simplest solution here.
But how do you get a great mattress without breaking the bank? In today’s post, I will give you some shopping tips and share our reviews of 5 best cheap mattresses that will guarantee sound sleep like no other.
A Quick Preview
Best Cheap Memory Foam Mattress
Green Tea by Zinus
|Shop Now on Amazon|
Read more about this mattress
Best Cheap Latex Mattress
ASPEN by Dreamfoam Bedding
Read more about this mattress
Best Budget Mattress for Back Pain
Read more about this mattress
Best Low-Cost Mattress Overall
Brooklyn Bowery by Brooklyn Bedding
Read more about this mattress
Best Inexpensive Mattress in a Box
Love and Sleep by Nest Bedding
Read more about this mattress
Our Reviews of 5 Best Cheap Mattresses
Best Cheap Memory Foam Mattress - Green Tea by Zinus
The first on our list of the best value mattresses is the Green Tea memory foam model by Zinus. It has great pressure relieving properties and offers that generous amount of sinkage typical of memory foam beds.
This Zinus mattress is specially infused with natural green tea extracts and charcoal to preserve its freshness. These substances help draw the moisture away and reduce the growth of bacteria.
Now, this model has four layers. The top memory foam is effective when it comes to relieving the body’s pressure points, and the high-density polyfoam layers below ensure excellent spine alignment and equal support for different body parts. I was testing the 12-inch option, but you can choose other configurations that might match your sleeping position and preferences more closely.
The Zinus Green Tea happens to be one of the cheapest memory foam mattresses on the market, with all the qualities for a sound sleep. With various configurations available, it will work well for all kinds of sleepers who love the cradling feel of all-foam mattresses. Plus, it’s an ideal choice for people with a sensitive nose (due to the green tea infusion).
- Fans of the memory foam feel. The Zinus can gently hug all your pressure points while remaining supportive for your spine.
- Sensitive sleepers. The subtle green tea scent masks the typical foam odor pretty well and may help people with a sensitive nose sleep without discomfort.
- Petite sleepers. The hug that the Zinus gives is perfect for lightweight side sleepers to relax muscles in their hips and shoulders.
Best Cheap Latex Mattress - ASPEN by Dreamfoam Bedding
The Aspen by Dreamfoam is one of the best budget mattresses offering more than just a low price tag. It made it to our list because of how breathable, natural, and safe it is.
It’s worthy of note that the manufacturer is advertising this model as “latex mattress” (and hence the title “best cheap latex mattress”). In reality, though, it is constructed with both foam and latex layers, meaning it’s a hybrid.
This mattress is naturally very breathable and cooling thanks to the convoluted foam base and Talalay latex that work together to promote airflow inside the layers and save you from sweaty nights. The quilted cover gives the mattress a premium, plush feel to the skin. But the overall feel is pretty balanced, allowing for decent sinkage but remaining very resilient at the same time.
There are three firmness options available, which can satisfy the needs of most users. I find this model perfectly suitable for people who don’t want to pay a thousand or two bucks to get a luxurious latex bed.
- Hot sleepers. The combo of a convoluted foam base and natural latex results in a cooling effect and hence, a deeper sleep.
- Allergy sufferers. Since latex is hypoallergenic and immune to mold and dust mites, it can serve you for a longer time without provoking allergy episodes.
- Mixed sleepers. Latex has a quicker response than memory foam and doesn’t interfere with your position shifting during the night.
Best Budget Mattress for Back Pain - Nectar
Up next, we have an affordable mattress for back pain. Just like the title suggests, this model will work great for users who have back pain issues, because of how conforming and contouring it is.
The Nectar, unlike many memory foam models, does not make you feel stuck in your bed. Thanks to the dense foam base, it is highly effective with proper spine alignment. The top memory foam layers ensure the mattress molds to your body within a matter of seconds, allowing for equal distribution of your body weight. The surface of the bed feels cool and nice to the skin, thanks to the Tencel cover.
Overall, it’s one of the best low-cost beds for people who appreciate the contouring properties of memory foam but tend to sleep cool on regular memory foam. With this mattress, your spine will be in proper alignment without pressure points. And the gel infusion will allow you to stay cool all through the night.
- Active sleepers and their partners. Low motion transfer of the Nectar mattress helps you sleep without any interruptions if you or your bedmate tosses and turns often.
- Back pain sufferers. Awesome cradling properties of this memory foam mattress ensure that your spine will be aligned and relaxed in any position you choose, which may help you reduce pain.
- Hot sleepers. Unlike many memory foam mattresses, the Nectar sleeps cool due to the gel-infused foam layer and Tencel cover.
Best Low-Cost Mattress Overall - Brooklyn Bowery by Brooklyn Bedding
The next model on today’s list of the top-rated inexpensive beds is the Brooklyn Bowery mattress by Brooklyn Bedding. Being made of quality materials and offering a balanced feel, this model is here thanks to the value for money it has.
This inexpensive mattress works ideally for sound sleep due to its medium firmness. This is an excellent pick if you have back or neck pain, as the mattress will hug your body and remove your pressure points as soon as you lay your head on it. At the same time, this model uses Energex foam, which apart from decent pressure relief, offers a more bouncy feel and improved breathability. The cover is made of premium soft weave to let the air in and keep you cool during the night.
Overall, the Brooklyn Bowery is a very comfortable mattress in every aspect. It’s a more responsive and more breathable alternative for memory foam fans. Plus, it performs equally well in all sleeping positions.
- Individuals with pain issues. The Brooklyn Bowery features proprietary foams with great cradling and pressure-relieving effects, so it can support your spine and help alleviate pain.
- Mixed sleepers. Medium is an optimal firmness level for those who shift between different positions during sleep.
- Couples. The Brooklyn Bowery has incredibly low motion transfer due to the foam construction. It can be a perfect pick for those who share a bed with a restless sleeper.
Best Inexpensive Mattress in a Box - Love & Sleep by Nest Bedding
The last item on our list of top-rated low-cost mattresses is the Love & Sleep by Nest Bedding. High-quality, durable materials and the company’s successful reputation make it an amazing deal for the money.
Now, this model offers you everything you fantasize about in a great mattress. It can work for most side, back, and stomach sleepers very well thanks to the molding capability as well as two firmness options available.
While some similar models shipped in a box take several days to expand to their full size (and sometimes never expand completely), the Love and Sleep expands and is ready to accommodate you almost immediately, which makes it a superb value mattress in a box.
From the phase-change fabric to the Energex layer, the company ensured this mattress will give you a comfortably cool sleep. The foam layers quickly adjust to your body weight and absorb noise and bounciness from tossing pretty well.
The Love & Sleep feels sturdy and durable, which makes it a suitable option for those looking for a lasting but affordable solution. Plus, it’s an excellent foam bed for couples due to the enhanced edge support of this model.
- Those who want a balanced feel. The Love and Sleep mattress is made of proprietary quick-response foam, which has a similar ability to contour your body but does have some bounce to it.
- Couples. This model has surprisingly good edge support for a memory foam mattress, so it can offer a uniform surface for those who share a bed with a partner.
- Restless sleepers. Despite high responsiveness, the Love and Sleep has great motion isolation and can help you get uninterrupted sleep even if your bedmate is an active sleeper.
How Important Is a Good Night’s Sleep?
Getting quality sleep is one of the keys to leading a healthy life.
The National Sleep Foundation (NSF) recommends getting between seven and nine hours of sleep for adults.
Even though not all adults adhere to this amount of recommended sleep time, many do manage to get some decent sleep thanks to the comfortability of their bed.
“For most adults with stressful jobs, the thought of getting rest as soon as they come home keeps them going during the day. So, you can understand the vitality of having all the tools available for a good night’s sleep, like a good mattress.”
Now, when your mattress prevents you from getting enough of quality sleep, you risk having issues with:
- Alertness. A good sleep enables your mind to regain focus, drive creativity, and even tackle complex mental challenges.
- Fighting infection. Sleep is your body’s mechanism for fighting off infections. When you don’t get enough of it, your immune system weakens and makes you vulnerable to sickness.
- Energy. After a healthy night rest, your energy level increases and your mental alertness sharpens. Plus, you get improved athletic performance, e.g. increased speed, agility, and reflexes.
- Memory. Sleeping is a critical time for shaping memories and bridging the gap between past events, feelings, and occurrences. In fact, sleep is fundamental to developing memory pathways in the brain.
- Regeneration. During sleep, your body repairs damages caused by stress, ultraviolet rays, muscle injuries, and sometimes traumas.
So, you not only lose out on the benefits of sleep but also become defenseless to some health hazards.
Research shows that people who experience sleep deprivation are lacking either one or all of these factors:
- a quiet and dark room;
- a supportive mattress;
- a cool room temperature.
None of these may apply to you, but one cannot deny the importance of the mattress quality when it comes to the quality of sleep you get.
“Mahatma Gandhi once said that each night, when he goes to sleep, he dies. And the next morning, he feels like a newborn when he wakes up.”
Yes, this is what a good bed does to you. Not that you will die, but that you will get relieved of stress and drift off in oblivion on the comfort of a cozy bed.
What Makes a Good Budget Mattress
I bet we can all agree that good mattresses are often expensive. So, finding the right one at an affordable price is golden.
For those who are contemplating buying a new mattress, starting with planning a budget might be a sensible thing to do. But let me clear one thing up:
Budgeting doesn’t immediately mean lowering your standards for the cheapest product.
It merely means planning your finances appropriately to afford a new bed.
So, before you go shopping for just any kind of low-cost mattress, let’s take a look at some of the qualities a great mattress must have. Generally, it should:
- Provide comfort. The level of firmness of your bed is very crucial. Your sleeping position affects how firm you need your bed to be. You want to avoid beds that are either too soft or too hard. Both are not ideal for a decent sleep.
- Be supportive. It is important to go with a mattress that ensures even distribution of your weight and supports all parts of your body equally well. The last thing you need is a bed that feels saggy or allows too much sinkage, as this means constantly waking to backaches.
- Be suitable personally for you. A good affordable mattress should cater to your individual needs. For instance, if you are a couple, you want to enjoy lying next to your partner without being constantly woken at their every toss and turn. So, you definitely want a bed that can absorb noise and isolate motion, etc. In the same manner, if you are a hot sleeper, then it is ideal to get a mattress that withdraws body heat.
- Stay within budget. You want to make sure that you are not overpaying for the features you possibly don’t need. Therefore, look for the models that offer good value for the money.
Potential Risks Involved with Having a Cheap Mattress
Just like with most low-cost products, a budget mattress might come with certain negative issues. Knowing them will give you a leg-up in case of surprises.
- lower-quality materials (hence, shorter lifespan);
- safety issues;
- quicker wear out (hence, extra expenses for repair or replacement);
- sooner sagging and loss of comfort levels;
- shorter warranty coverage.
Thus, when researching available options, it makes sense to pay attention to mattress reviews that describe how this or that model performs in terms of the aforementioned aspects.
Having read these reviews of cheap mattresses, you might have made sure that the relationship between price and quality of products is not always that strong. Yes, good inexpensive mattresses do exist! And some of the most outstanding models were listed above. Each of them has a unique set of features that allow them to provide amazing comfort levels for different types of sleepers. I personally loved the Brooklyn Bowery most of all. It uses innovative Energex foam, which results in a bouncy yet cushiony feel. Another favorite of mine is the ASPEN. It features a Talalay latex layer that gives this bed a more pronounced responsive feel and ensures a cooler and cleaner sleeping surface. Which of these low-cost mattresses appealed to you the most? Do you believe that a low price doesn’t always mean worse quality? You’re welcome to share your thoughts in the comment section below!
Hours of Research
Mattress Executives Interviewed
Sleep Experts Consulted
This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More