This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission with no extra cost to you. Learn More
Back pain is a condition that no one wants to be stuck with, while managing is the best those already suffering from it can do. And one of the leading methods for reducing back pain is using an appropriate mattress along with the best bed frames for back pain.
Read through the article and see as we look at the top 3 choices of bed frames for back pain available on the market, how a bed frame eases back pain, and what to consider when making your purchase. Enjoy.
A Quick Preview
Puffy Bed Frame
|Check Current Price|
Read more about this bed frame
Best Affordable Adjustable Bed for Back Pain
TEMPUR Power Base
|Check Current Price|
Read more about this bed frame
Best Bed Frame for Heavy Sleepers with Back Pain
|Check Current Price|
Read more about this bed frame
Our Review of the Top 3 Best Bed Frames for Back Pain
Editor’s Choice - Puffy Bed Frame
- Its slatted wooden foundation is excellent for providing a mattress with rigid support.
- The frame is designed with a tufted headboard that provides back support for a user while sitting in bed.
- Construction allows optimal mattress breathability as air can flow under the mattress.
The Puffy bed frame tops our list of the best bed frames for back pain available on the market. It is a sturdy and durable product that provides a user with the lumbar support needed for aligning the spine and reducing back pain. In addition, the bed frame’s solid wooden slats guarantee that the mattress stays in place without slipping or bouncing.
Another feature I particularly liked is how the frame does not squeak or make any noise. This is especially great for back pain sufferers who, like me, tend to toss and turn a lot during sleep and can be disturbed by the noise.
- Its set-up is effortless.
- The frame comes with a lifetime warranty as proof of durability.
- Headboard padding and styling make it excellent for bedroom aesthetics.
- It does not offer adjustable features like the TEMPUR Power Base.
- The frame has little to no storage space under it.
Best Affordable Adjustable Bed for Back Pain - TEMPUR Power Base
- It has 2 adjust settings for changing the mattress position and easing back pain.
- The base offers zoned massage features for improved user relaxation.
- It's zero gravity mode creates a weightless feeling for reduced back pressure.
The TEMPUR Power Base is a versatile and adjustable bed frame that offers its users premium comfort features. It is one of the best bed frames for back pain since sleeping with back pain might sometimes require a user to adjust their sleeping positions by raising either their heads or legs. And it offers the mandatory lumbar support needed for spinal alignment.
Furthermore, while testing the product, the base’s massage feature helped me relax and loosen my cramped muscles for better sleep. And I also enjoyed its AI technology that tracks sleep metrics and points out ways to improve sleep habits.
- Adjusting the bed base can be done via remote access and voice control.
- The base is highly intuitive and can respond to snoring by auto-adjusting.
- Its AI technology offers valuable insights into sleep health.
- It might be too expensive for users on a budget.
- The base has no raised edges for improving mattress edge support.
“You should have a massage before sleep as it helps relax your body muscles, loosens the spine, and increases blood circulation for restful slumber.”
Best Bed Frame for Heavy Sleepers with Back Pain - Nectar
- Extra support in the middle to accommodate heavier users.
- It uses durable wooden slats that guarantee stability and sturdiness.
- Its assembly does not require any technical knowledge.
For heavy individuals who also suffer from back pain, the Nectar Classic bed frame might just be the best option. The frame’s combination of extra support legs, a central beam, and a slatted foundation ensures the user’s comfort through optimal spinal alignment.
The Nectar bed frame is a solid framework, and that was what appealed to me the most, because I don’t like my bed creaking when I lay down or when I stand up. I had my and I test the bed frame using an extra-heavy hybrid mattress. Even though our combined weight is over 500 pounds, the frame neither gave in nor creaked.
- It is suitable for heavy mattresses due to its extra support beam and legs.
- Its edges help reinforce mattresses for increased uniformity and compactness.
- The bed frame is cheap, excellent for shoppers on a budget.
- Its wooden legs might scratch the floor if used without a pad.
- The frame’s fabric covering is not removable.
“Heavy users should use a firm/solid mattress alongside their sturdy bed frame. This would give the maximum support needed to hold the body weight without sinking"
How Does a Bed Frame Can Ease Back Pain
A bed frame can eases back pain by providing adequate back support for spinal alignment. Several factors lead to back pain (1); however, one of the leading causes is bad posture. If the spine is not aligned correctly during sleep, the user might wake up feeling worse than before going to bed.
A bed frame complements the mattress’ efforts and provides additional support to keep the spine straightened and in a natural position during sleep; reducing pressure on the back and easing pain. A bed frame can mean the difference between sinkage and appropriate cushioning, even when using a soft mattress.
Other benefits of using a bed frame include heightened mattress breathability, under-the-bed storage, room decoration, etc.
“The best way to maintain your upholstered bed frame is by spot-cleaning it. This is because of cases where the fabric gets dirty and cannot be washed.”
Types of Bed Frames for Back Pain
The types of bed frames for back pain include the adjustable bed, solid foundation, and slatted foundation. They all perform the function of providing support for a mattress but have slight individual differences:
- Adjustable Bed. Adjustable beds are best known for their customisation and various comfort setups. They are excellent for reclining and easing back pain as they can help position the legs, neck, and head for proper spinal alignment. However, due to their many features, they tend to be expensive.
“An adjustable bed can be put inside a standard bed frame to buffer up the sides and make it more aesthetically pleasing. The frame has to be without slats though.”
- Slatted Foundation. A slatted foundation comes in two dimensions; solid and sprung (2). While sprung slats offer bounce and are an incredible frame choice for memory foam mattresses, they are not ideal for back pain sufferers. Solid slats guarantee mattress support devoid of bounce that might aggravate back pain. And in addition, both types are designed for optimal breathability.
- Solid Foundation. Solid foundations, also known as platform beds, make up a considerable percentage of the best bed frames for back pain available on the market. They are ideal for back pain sufferers since the frame offers little to zero bounce, is adept at providing rigid support, and makes soft mattresses firmer. However, some frame models might limit temperature regulation.
What to Consider When Buying a Bed Frame for Back Pain
Not every bed frame can be dubbed bed frame for back pain, and this is why when buying a bed frame for back pain, the users should consider support as it is what guarantees spinal alignment, the type of material used for durability and aesthetics, and its weight capacity for heavier sleepers.
In addition, they should also ensure that price is in their budget range, its assembly and set-up is stress free, and that it has a noise-free design for silent usage.
Let’s take a look at how each feature is essential to a user’s optimal comfortability:
- Support. The primary purpose of buying a bed frame for back pain is support. The structure must be sturdy enough to guarantee spinal alignment when the user sleeps on it. Furthermore, it must be able to shore up a mattress’ firmness level to ensure appropriate lumbar support during sleep.
- Noise-free Design. The bed frame has to be free of all creaking and squeaking sounds identified with bolts, hinges, and connections. These sounds can constitute a disturbance and worsen a night already stressed with back pain. Noise-free design is one vital feature that every bed frame for sex ought to possess.
- Weight Capacity. Not all bed frames are designed for heavy lifting, and it is one of the key points to consider when purchasing a bed frame. The buyer has to consider the user's weight and mattress weight, as a bed frame unable to support its users' weight can damage the mattress, frame, and person.
- Material. Metal and wood are the top 2 materials used in constructing bed frames. The type of material used plays an essential part in aesthetics as people find upholstered bed frames more visually pleasing than plain wood or metal frames.
- Durability. Durability is also impacted by the kind of material used in construction. As a rule of thumb, metal bed frames tend to last longer than wooden frames. However, they are not great for room decoration and can get quite noisy.
“One way to be assured of durability is through warranties; extended periods are your friend.”
- Ease of Assembly. The bed frame set-up should be straightforward. An easy-to-assemble piece means that the user does not require any technical knowledge. Processes like attaching a headboard and where to make connections shouldn’t be too hard for the user to grasp.
- Price. Like all others, the cost of a product plays a significant role in its purchase. The trick is ensuring that the value offered is commensurate to the amount spent, just like Thuma and Thuma alternative bed frames. However, it is also important to note that expensive bed frames tend to have more sleep-improving features than their cheaper counterparts.
Is an adjustable bed frame good for back pain?
Yes, an adjustable bed frame is good for back pain because the adjust settings allow the user to change mattress position by raising either their head or legs. For individuals who suffer from low back pain or sciatica, slightly raising the head and feet reduces pressure on the spine and ensures easier rest.
As simple as it sounds, we can see that choosing the best bed frames for back pain is no easy feat. Even though the major component is adequate support, some other factors go into consideration.
For back pain sufferers who need some help in making a decision, I’ll recommend the Puffy bed frame. Apart from ticking the boxes of an ideal back pain bed frame, it is a stylish product bound to improve your bedroom decor, aesthetics, and mattress breathability. And in addition, it boasts a lifetime warranty that can be taken advantage of at any moment.
Do you have any experience dealing with back pain? Can you tell us what using a bed frame felt like? Please, hit us up in the comments section. We’d love to hear from you.
- James McIntosh. (Feb 23, 2017). What is causing this pain in my back? Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/172943
- Norma J. H. (July 28, 2022). What Is a Slat Bed Frame? Retrieved from https://www.homequestionsanswered.com/what-is-a-slat-bed-frame.htm
Bed Frames Considered
Hours of Research
Sleep Experts Consulted